Freight Thoughts (Thanks!)

  • Matt Dobbing
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2003
      -J.H. Crawford clarified issues raised in earlier message regarding
      direction of freight unloading-

      many thanks for the detailed response in regards reasons for unloading as
      discussed in book. I think that to get the car free city off the ground the
      freight system would (will!) require the most selling as examples of the
      passanger system chosen are available and relatively tried and tested.

      -Mike Neuman replied to the freight thoughs posting...-
      'The ideal situation is to have the people live as close as possible to
      their place of employment. So the best approach would find out where the
      jobs are going to be and site the homes in those areas.'

      I agree that having people close to their jobs is sensible and this would
      seem to be a central premise of the car free city as J.H. Crawford advocates
      mixed usage of areas (residential/commercial) and not just a nice
      environment for people to commute to or from turning the car free city into
      a dormetory town.

      In regards to finding out where the jobs are going to be a degree of
      government planning could (should?) be involved. Very few jobs in the UK
      (any global perspectives welcomed!) now require access to a fixed raw
      material limiting their location. Rather than trying to predict where jobs
      are going to be incentives could be offered to pull business to the car free
      city. I personally don't believe that attracting business would be a
      problem. They will move if it is made worth their while and would be
      attracted by a well housed, happier, perhaps healthier workforce.

      agricultural land I agree. But it may not be possible to find the perfect
      site as he suggests, unless an existing urban area is redeveloped along car
      free lines. A personal attraction to the car free city model is actually how
      much green space is retained. Could this green space be 'better' for the
      environment if it was managed to be more varied than the relative
      monoculture of an agricultural field? (reforested to a degree perhaps?)

      January Sales suggestion!!!!
      I have just finished reading 'Sociable Cities, the legacy of Ebenezer
      Howard' by Peter Hall and Colin Ward. An interesting look at the development
      of the garden city from concept to dissapointing reality. Bearing in mind
      that Ebenezer Howard put forward his city model when the motor car was not
      widely available there are a number of parallalls with the car free city.
      Also interesting is how the final reality of new towns in the uk is so
      different from the garden cities original plan. I wonder what comprimises
      wuold (will?) be made in the construction of a car free city?

      sorry for long posting!!
      Hope all had a good christmas.

      Matt Dobbing
      Head of Careers and CPSE
      Northolt High School
      Eastcote Lane
      Northolt
      Middx
      UB5 4HP

      Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
      http://wine.msn.com