Re: [carfree_cities] Freight thoughts

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 25, 2003
      >> It's just the handling problem. We would need two systems, which is
      >> simply not economic.
      >

      > In the UK there's the mini-modal option.
      > http://www.minimodal.com/docs/about/index.html

      In a silimlar vein, in Japan delivery trucks often have sides that lift
      open to allow loading and unloading while they are parallel
      parked--eliminates the need for loading docks, which would take up a
      huge amount of room the Japanese put to better uses. Trucks just
      parallel park and uload onto the sidewalk when it's not otherwise busy.
      Believe they're called "butterfly trucks," or something like that.

      The trucks are of course smaller than US trucks.

      They also have voices: when the turn signal comes on, the trucks says,
      "Excuse me; I'm turning left" (or right, of course). This is for
      pedestrians, naturally.

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
      an obligation; every possession, a duty."
      John D. Rockefeller, Jr.