Winter Biking (was Transport Infrastructure)

  • jym@econet.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2000
      > I am curious about winter biking. I expect that the exercise
      > would keep you warm. Is there a niche sport of winter biking,
      > bikes with caterpillar tracks maybe?

      =v= When I was a kid, I found an old _Boy's_Life_ that showed
      how to attach a ski to the front wheel of your bike. I never
      found a ski in all my childhood, but I experimented with pieces
      of wood. It didn't make much difference; I biked in snow with
      my big Schwinn cruiser tires anyway.

      =v= There's an ICEBIKE email list that's been around for years,
      and they've set up a web site:

      http://www.icebike.org/

      Lots of tips and techniques. This past winter, my buddies in
      Chicago have set up a "Bike Winter" page, which focused on fun
      events and workshops to inspire people to keep biking in the
      cold weather:

      http://www.bikewinter.org/

      <_Jym_>

      P.S.: Bike Winter was inspired by Bike Summer, which took place
      in San Francisco last year. That's where I met these folks.
      They, in turn, are holding a Bike Summer in Chicago this year:

      http://www.bikesummer.org/