Re: Fwd: shooting ourselves in the foot...

  • Bijan Soleymani
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
      "Chris Loyd" <tybalt@...> writes:

      >> >That's like taxing imports from China and Mexico because products made
      >> >there
      >> >have an advantage of not paying workers there as much as ones in the US
      > or
      >> >Germany.
      >>
      >> One could think of this as a market correction, if production drops then
      >> emissions drop as well.
      >> If goods are priced to cheaply (kind of like a loss leaders) consumers can
      >> lose touch with the real cost of an item.
      >
      > That's a new definition of "market correction" that I've heard of.
      >
      > "Too cheaply"? Says who? How can an item be priced too cheaply? By your
      > logic, files downloaded from the internet may be "priced" "too cheaply".

      I don't know exactly what he means, but I'd think it's something along
      these lines. When you drive a car all you're paying for (directly) is
      the gas and the upkeep. You're not paying for the highways, you're not
      paying for the pollution, you're not paying for the social costs,
      etc. So you don't realize how expensive and stupid the whole
      proposition is.

      >> The market (like government) is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is
      >> force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a
      >> moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
      >> (A take off of, George Washington)
      >
      > Market as a master? Who controls it? Why fear it? One isn't forced to buy
      > things. No one points a gun at you if you don't buy a car. Try not paying
      > income taxes. How have markets killed people as a direct plan? Blame
      > individuals for deaths, not something that has no face.

      While it's true that the market doesn't necessarily force people to do
      things (like buying a car), I think you're overlooking the huge power
      of private capital. I think that the automakers have used their power
      and influence time and time again to get exactly what they want from
      the government. More roads, less money for transit, etc.

      Bijan
      --
      Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>
      http://www.crasseux.com