end of the road

  • tim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2000
      Excuse me while I tell you all about where I live.
      At home is a relatively quiet side street Georgiana St, Camden, London.
      At either end are very busy one way arterial roads
      The canal crosses our street at the end too
      All these routes are also recognised cycleways in different ways
      One is the ridiculuose paint it on the road and hope for the best,
      where it gets difficult to ride or paint it in danger areas it
      dissappears,
      one has a newer separated cycleway that is underused,
      really they had some space for it, but it couldnt really have been the
      right space,
      anyway its not too bad, but.....
      At the end of my road is a cycle way
      which crosses the pavement to join a really fast one way road
      as it crosses the hump bridge over the canal on a blind bend.
      It joins the one way street at a shallow angle
      allowing cyclists to join the fast moving traffic,
      it does have a tiny give way sign painted on the cycleway.

      Give Way is a tame term.
      The road you are joining is one way coming fast straight towards you
      on the blind bend on the hump bridge
      and your cycle lane has vanished .... it doesnt return
      ...... I assume that they know that you may be useing an ambulance after
      that.
      The cars using the road there are not warned of the oncoming cyclists
      as its all just a bad mistake that has never been rectified.
      Neither are there any signs to tell cyclists its a one way street.

      accross the street at this point is Elm Village
      anyone heard of it ?
      won awards as a car free developement when it was built
      strangely it is full of cars
      allways has been
      no signs warn cars of pedestrians in the street
      and there are no pavements
      its impossible to walk safely its narrow bendy roads are overgrown
      and all the corners are blind
      if you are pushing a buggy there is nowhere to run to
      recently as it was overused as a rat run or cut through for cars
      it was barrierd off at places, but with no provisions for cycles

      I wonder if we could have some kind of championships for killer blunders
      of planners,
      I only mention the ones I can see from my window !
      This kind of situation could use the on board camera tactics,
      to show the TV watching car driver what its like to be in the buggy,
      or be led reassuringly into a wall of fast cars that dont expect you.

      I have found that the council depts that are responsible are not
      communicative at all
      They like an easy life.
      They also spend a lot of money advertising themselves as Green and
      Environmental
      and are so proud of thier cycleways
      Groan.....EnvironMENTAL