Re: [carfree_cities] Second class citizens?

  • Joel Hirschhorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2003
      I have coined the expression "automobile apartheid" to describe America's sprawl culture where first class citizens are in vehicles and everyone else is a second class person; I use this in my forthcoming book Sprawl Kills; see my site www.sprawlkills.com

      Jeremy Hubble <jhubble@...> wrote:The recent ruling in Massachusetts used as the basis that the state
      constitution prohibited the creation of second class citizens. While
      this was used to prohibit any marriage discrimination, it seems that
      this may also serve the basis for 'vehicle' discrimination. Prohibiting
      bicycles or pedestrians on roads and bridges also creates second class
      citizens, disenfranchising those that don't have cars. This is
      especially true where a highway or bridge provides the only means for
      easily accessing a location.