Re: carefree quality of life in nyc

  • sow_thistle
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
      Bijan Soleymani <bijan@p...> wrote:
      > barry goldman <sow_thistle@y...> writes:
      >
      > > guys, i still want to know what you think about people
      > > flocking to streetside outdoor cafe's on places like
      > > upper west side broadway. If having a highway full of
      > > cars and noisy smelly buses 10 feet from your dining
      > > expereience is so bad for quality of life, why do
      > > people flock to them?

      > people will make do with the way things are. It's better to dine in
      a noisy place than not to dine at all.

      But people HAVE A CHOICE to dine on the sidewalk cafe at night or
      inside the restaurant. I personally always choose inside the
      restaurant in most new york city streets, who wants to have dinner on
      a highway? i discussed this with the headwaiter at an indian
      restaruant i frequent, why they don't have sidewalk dining like all
      the other POSH places and he said, "eating should be a healing
      process, eating on the newyork city street, is not a healing process,
      hell, you get soot in your food!"

      barry
    • Bijan Soleymani
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
        "sow_thistle" <sow_thistle@...> writes:

        > Bijan Soleymani <bijan@p...> wrote:
        >
        > But people HAVE A CHOICE to dine on the sidewalk cafe at night or
        > inside the restaurant. I personally always choose inside the
        > restaurant in most new york city streets, who wants to have dinner on
        > a highway? i discussed this with the headwaiter at an indian
        > restaruant i frequent, why they don't have sidewalk dining like all
        > the other POSH places and he said, "eating should be a healing
        > process, eating on the newyork city street, is not a healing process,
        > hell, you get soot in your food!"

        Sitting in a sidewalk cafe or eating inside a restaurant are
        completely different experiences. The sidewalk cafe is a much more
        public place. Where you can sit for hours and watch people walk by and
        have them watch you. And just sit there and read your newspaper or
        nurse a beer, etc. It's one of those things you can only enjoy in a
        city, since that's the only place where there's enough pedestrian
        traffic to make it work.

        Bijan
        --
        Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>
        http://www.crasseux.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
          >>> i still want to know what you think about people flocking
          >>> to streetside outdoor cafe's on places like upper west side
          >>> broadway. If having a highway full of cars and noisy smelly
          >>> buses 10 feet from your dining expereience is so bad for
          >>> quality of life, why do people flock to them?

          =v= If we're thinking of the same stretch of Broadway, the
          sidewalks are wider than that. Even with outdoor seating
          taking up some of of the sidewalk, it's more like 20 feet to
          the street. The sidewalk is usually packed with people, which
          makes a sort of buffer zone, plus there's a row of parked cars.
          (Not that this is a great thing. They may start up and sit and
          idle, plus there can be an annoying glare reflected from their
          windshields!)

          =v= I don't think these are exemplars of outdoor dining, even in
          New York City. You see better and more thriving ones a block to
          the east, on Amsterdam, which is a slightly quieter street. The
          very best examples are many blocks south, in the oldest parts of
          the city, where the streets are narrower and not quite part of a
          grid.

          =v= (Think of the cover jacket photo of Jane Jacobs in the West
          Village.)
          <_Jym_>
          --
          Boycott Compulsory Consumption:
          http://www.xmasresistance.org/

          Ignore the ads below, for starters.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
            Jym Dyer wrote:

> [...]
            Besides, noisy sidewalk dining is better than no sidewalk dining...at
            least you're out in the mix. People are striving to find enjoyable
            moments in their lives regardless of how difficult our present bad
            habits make it. It's really a sing that waht we strive for are
            conditions the majority seeks as well, but doesn't know how to find,
            simply because they see cars as a "natural" part of the urban
            landscape--till they go somewhere else.

            Richard
            http://www.living-room.org
            http://www.newcolonist.com

            "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
            an obligation; every possession, a duty."
            John D. Rockefeller, Jr.