Re: [carfree_cities] big box parking & tolls

  • Chris Loyd
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2003
      HCTRA doesn't place freeways where they could be most profitable. Hardy
      Toll Road is parallel to I-45. The South Beltway will make more money as
      people find that commutes from the South are easier than commutes from the
      West and North of Houston. As far as the East goes...who wants to live near
      the refineries?

      HCTRA also built an airport connector which wasn't necessary in the least.
      I've never experienced severe traffic enteringg Bush ICA. Some of the newer
      routes do make a bit more sense, like the West Park Tollway (a good many
      miles south, and parallel to Katy), Fort Bend Parkway (kinda parallel to the
      Southwest Freeway; off to the east, stops at 610), and some new toll lanes
      on Katy. Hardy Downtown Connector might make some sense, as it might
      convince people to get on Hardy the whole way from Downtown out the
      Woodlands.

      I wondered why, since HCTRA seems to favor building parallel to current
      roads, why not use up some of the rail ROW near West Loop 610 and build a
      parallel bypass stretching from, say, Katy to Southwest, or Norh Loop to
      South Loop.

      What's bonkers is the Trans Texas Corridor :
      http://www.dot.state.tx.us/ttc/ttc_home.htm
      I don't care if it is providing all those rail tracks, most of the routing
      is through the middle of nowhere. Is it really expected that the "triangle"
      of San Antonio-Austin-Dallas-Houston is going to become continuously urban?

      All goes to show that one of the few profitable transit ventures are
      urban-centric rail systems. I read in "Edge City" that Hong Kong's subway
      is the only non-subsidized urban rail system in the world. This was back in
      1991, before Chinese annexation. Are there any other systems out there?
      The Metro in Joel's plan could be privately run, as it would face virtually
      no other competition except from bicycling. The way things are right now,
      maybe the only way for the Topology to be built from the ground up is to be
      privately financed.

      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2003
        On 03.12.3 10:> Message: 10
        > Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:28:12 -0800
        > From: Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
        > Subject: HSR
        >
        > Was recently on the bullet trains in Japan. 2000-passenger loads
        > leaving every twenty minutes from downtowns everywhere, the station a
        > short subway or taxi ride from anywhere in any town (think twenty
        > minutes max), three levels of service (pay a little more for fewer
        > stops). And they turn a profit!

        Actually, that's every twenty minutes during the off-hours. During peak
        hours the trains run every *five minutes*--and that's just the bullet
        trains.

        On my trip three years ago, I was planning to take the train from Tokyo to
        visit some friends in Kamakura (home of the emblematic Great Buddha), which
        is perhaps 40 miles south. I phoned my friends to make arrangements and said
        that I would have to find out when the trains left.

        "Don't bother," my friend said. "The trains run every 12 minutes. Just give
        us a half-hour window of when you plan to leave Tokyo Station, and we'll be
        there to meet you."

        On that same trip, I road a country train that literally served as a school
        bus for junior and senior high school students who lived in villages that
        were too small to support a secondary school.

        Japan truly is transit heaven. On my last trip (spring 2002), I found a
        whole new railroad line running into Tokyo Station that had not been there
        before, and the subways are constantly under construction. They also have a
        second Shinkansen bullet train between Tokyo and Osaka on the drawing board
        (it would pass through different cities), because the existing one is
        reaching capacity.

        Despite their huge auto industry and some regrettable trends in the
        direction of car-oriented development in suburban areas, Japanese will be as
        ready as anyone in the world when the oil runs out.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness