RE: [carfree_cities] Oh, crap!

  • Patrick McDonough
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
      The political party itself and it's miniscule numbers are not a threat. The
      well-paid anti-transit zealots who are paid to traverse the country and
      trash transit projects are because regardless of the utterly duplicitous
      research that people like Randal O'Toole and Wendell Cox churn out, they are
      considered transportation "experts" by many in America, and can and do
      influendce policy. Visit http://www.americandreamcoalition.org/ for more
      information.

      While this group is still a fringe bunch, (their yahoo group is often
      discussing smart growth in terms of UN conspiracies and black helicopters)
      their effectiveness at placing their message in major print and online media
      outlets is nonetheless impressive.

      Patrick McDonough

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
        > HOV lanes are in most of the U.S., mostly useless.
        > Let them convert them to regular lanes and watch how
        > little things improve.

        =v= Things will improve in the short run, though perhaps by
        shifting a bottleneck to somewhere else, and the Arnolds of
        the world will talk about widening things at that location.

        =v= But how is this policy even possible? Every Californian
        HOV lane I know of was part of a clean air requirement, in
        which widening a freeway could only be permitted if it was
        "mitigated" by making it an HOV lane. I suspect this plan
        has something to do with the Bush Administration's zealous
        nonenforcement of environmental laws.
        <_Jym_>