Re: [carfree_cities] Re: producing oil from waste etc....

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2003
      TF, I noticed how you mentioned this lists almost polar opposite,
      "Transport-Policy" in your letter.

      These two lists deal with issues from different perspectives, one more from
      the right and one more from the left. One wants to tear down cities, while
      one wants to rebuild them. One sees traffic congestion as problem, while one
      sees it as a chance to move on.
      One says that government has failed, the other says that the market has
      failed, the funny thing is that both are correct on this account.

      I like to consider my self as a "left of centre conservative", so I take
      some what of a middle of the road approach. I've worked at Canadian Tire and
      Loblaws, so I've dealt with mufflers to tires and have spent countless hours
      in parking lots. For some this is a wet dream, for some this is nightmare.

      Also, just so you know there are highway boondoggles, as well as transit
      boondoggles.
      In my locality, a proposed Autoroute 30 extension and the Laval metro
      extension are examples.
      For the private sector the Bell(Molson) Centre is also a boondoggle.

      I'm not against tolls on roads, so long as the money goes to things like
      health care or education.

      Big box stores can be better, if they are built with their parking beneath
      them and treat their workers with a little more respect.

      Pedestrians and transit are important just as with cars, when planning
      transportation policy.

      Suburbs aren't bad (I live in one, St.Laurent), they've just been made worse
      over the years.

      Also with this item: http://www.demographia.com/rac-montreal.pdf
      Economically, Montreal is lucky that there is no belt route and that the
      trunk roads (A-20 & A-40) pass through on the island of Montreal.
      With the Ste.Julie photos, where are the sidewalks?
      As for Mirabel its problems (location and lack of proper road and rail
      links) are more of a result of the provincial government then that of the
      federal government.

      Till later, Andrew Dawson

      "bumpkinbubba" wrote:
      >This scheme was also discussed about one month ago on the "CarFree"
      >and "Transport-Policy" lists. The conclusions were that 1) The
      >garbage can't exist in the first place without mankind having
      >consumed _more_ energy when, a while earlier, mankind charged the
      >solar battery that is the garbage; and 2) The major problem,
      >therefore, that any success of the scheme might significantly address
      >is not energy but rather, landfills.
      >
      >Still nothing to be sneezed at.
      >
      >- TF

    • Karen Sandness
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2003
        On 03.12.3 10:> Message: 10
        > Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:28:12 -0800
        > From: Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
        > Subject: HSR
        >
        > Was recently on the bullet trains in Japan. 2000-passenger loads
        > leaving every twenty minutes from downtowns everywhere, the station a
        > short subway or taxi ride from anywhere in any town (think twenty
        > minutes max), three levels of service (pay a little more for fewer
        > stops). And they turn a profit!

        Actually, that's every twenty minutes during the off-hours. During peak
        hours the trains run every *five minutes*--and that's just the bullet
        trains.

        On my trip three years ago, I was planning to take the train from Tokyo to
        visit some friends in Kamakura (home of the emblematic Great Buddha), which
        is perhaps 40 miles south. I phoned my friends to make arrangements and said
        that I would have to find out when the trains left.

        "Don't bother," my friend said. "The trains run every 12 minutes. Just give
        us a half-hour window of when you plan to leave Tokyo Station, and we'll be
        there to meet you."

        On that same trip, I road a country train that literally served as a school
        bus for junior and senior high school students who lived in villages that
        were too small to support a secondary school.

        Japan truly is transit heaven. On my last trip (spring 2002), I found a
        whole new railroad line running into Tokyo Station that had not been there
        before, and the subways are constantly under construction. They also have a
        second Shinkansen bullet train between Tokyo and Osaka on the drawing board
        (it would pass through different cities), because the existing one is
        reaching capacity.

        Despite their huge auto industry and some regrettable trends in the
        direction of car-oriented development in suburban areas, Japanese will be as
        ready as anyone in the world when the oil runs out.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness