Reversing Sprawl/Saving the Planet for the Next Generation [formerly "Time to Recognize the Politics of Suburban Sprawl"]

  • mtneuman@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 07:38:04 -0800 Richard Risemberg
      <rickrise@...> writes:

      > <http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1119-13.htm>

      > "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every
      > opportunity,
      > an obligation; every possession, a duty."
      > John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

      Sprawl is so ingrained in the American lifestyle of today, it will take a
      monumental effort to even begin to reverse it. But reverse it we must.

      The concepts of smart growth can perhaps accommodate the change, but
      something is needed to ignite the ground swell of public support for a
      less car-dependent society. As the above article posted by Richard aptly
      suggests, the political power behind continuing with the status quo -- a
      society depended on sprawl for growth (heavy on road building, auto
      buying, gasoline buying, real estate buying) -- is immense. It involves
      a huge number of the big money and lobbying industries: real estate,
      automobile sales, road building, bridge building, oil pumping, oil
      shipping, oil refining, gasoline selling, automobile maintenance, AAA,
      housing development, cement manufacturing. All these folks lobby the
      government to continue feeding the status quo, which is killing us and
      the environment that sustains us.

      Add to all this the convenience, status and necessity and of having an
      automobile at our disposal, and there's no sense denying that we have our
      backs up against the wall in determining how to rid ourselves of this
      increasingly unhealthy and dangerous dependence on technology.

      We are all too familiar with the way urban sprawls wrecks the landscape
      and community, and puts a burden on local economic resources. I am
      personally more concerned about the increasingly unhealthy consequences
      of so much gasoline burning in the U.S., which is not only fueling global
      warming of the entire planet, but the ozone and particulates associated
      with fossil fuel burning also are now being implicated in causing stroke,
      heart attack, cancer and asthma, to say nothing about the deaths to
      pedestrians, bicyclists and other car drivers. Enough said (I hope.).

      What often gets overlooked is that the benefits of LESS motor vehicle
      driving in the U.S. would be huge. They would range from fewer costs
      associated with auto, truck and plane crashes; a reduction (or
      elimination) of the need to build in more highway capacity and the
      corresponding losses in agricultural land, wildlife habitat or other uses
      of those lands precluded by laying pavement; reduced air pollution
      related illnesses (cancer..); reductions in the costs of wasting time in
      traffic congestion; reduced highway maintenance cost; and an overall
      improvement in the liveability of cities and rural areas alike. These
      benefits are not enough to sell the American public on the need to reduce
      their auto usage, because everyone knows that if he or she cuts back on
      driving for these reasons, others will not necessarily follow suit,
      making the whole situation unfair.

      Some say the only way to reduce auto use is to make it more expensive to
      drive, by raising the price of gasoline via a huge increase in the gas
      tax. Studies show a small increase will have little effect on people's
      driving habits, but that a large increase would probably have an effect,
      especially on individuals and families having more meager annual incomes.
      So the issue of equity would make raising the gas tax even more
      unpopular.

      Raising the gasoline tax is a "negative approach" to encouraging people
      to drive less, meaning they associate the proposal with higher taxes.

      While working for Wisconsin's state environmental agency in 1999, I came
      up with a proposal that would provide a "positive approach" to encourage
      individuals and families to drive less. The plan would have cut the use
      of highways in Wisconsin by 25%, sending a large amount of money that
      would have been used to build an expanded highway system [$8 billion over
      10 years] back to the public instead, in the form of monetary incentives
      for people to significantly drive less miles. Signing up for the program
      would have been totally voluntary, so the financial rewards would have to
      be high enough to make people really want to try to cut back on their
      driving to sign up. Annual "rebates" of between $400 and $28,000 would
      be given individuals and families who drove under certain threshold
      mileage numbers, as logged on the odometers of the vehicles registered to
      them. Those who didn't drive at all over a year would receive the
      maximum rebate of $2,800 for not contributing to the road capacity or
      maintenance cost. The program would be strictly voluntary, and would
      require a nominal fee ($30-$50/applicant).

      Of course the transportation agency and its partners (road building
      industry; politicians, auto industry, AAA) and pro-highway development
      politicians were not terribly enthusiastic about this whole idea, to say
      the least. They bent the ears of my employer, and I was quickly
      reassigned on my job to do other less controversial things than proposing
      state government pay people not to drive.

      Naturally, the public media caught wind of "the DNR plan" though, to
      rebate people for driving less and saw a good story to report. Many
      people had a real fun time at my expense, including some of the radio and
      TV stations. Others took the proposal more seriously and sort of liked
      the idea.

      Anyway, I located the links to the news media articles recently and
      though I'd share them here for people's interest. I'm not looking for
      sympathy, but I must say that the way my state employer -- who was no
      doubt taking orders from the Wisconsin governor at the time (Tommy
      Thompson) -- handled the whole thing was rather backhanded and cowardly.

      I've probably written enough on this for you to get the general picture.
      Needless to say, road building in Wisconsin is still alive and well,
      although a recent state audit of the DOT has found that they grossly
      underestimate the cost of the 32 highway expansion project they now have
      underway. For some reason, this does not surprise me.

      Here are the links to the news media articles and the link to the full
      proposal, rewritten about a year later. I'm also attaching an email from
      EPA global warming people in support of insurance plans that charge less
      in premiums for policy owners who drive less miles over the year.
      (Similar idea, of course.) Enjoy.

      http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/nov99/hiway30112999a.asp
      http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=tct:1999:12:20:235282:Public
      %20Works
      http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=tct:1999:12:20:235286:Public
      %20Worker
      http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=tct:2000:03:20:146097:Public
      %20Worker

      (If these don't connect to the stories, let me know and I'll cut and
      paste them and send them that way.)

      Michael

      "It is incumbent on us here today to so act throughout our lives as to
      leave
      our children a heritage for which we will receive their blessings and not
      their curses".
      - Theodore Roosevelt, from a speech he gave in Dickinson, North Dakota,
      July 4, 1886