Re: [carfree_cities] Car-free cities in Florida?

  • Tom Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
      Hehe... well, Sara, glad you asked first.

      I live in Miami. It is indeed possible to become stuck in traffic for
      over three hours, especially in the western suburbs.

      The city is laid out in a weird grid arrangement, then sliced into
      pieces by expressways. There are only a limited number of possible
      crossings over or under these expressways.

      Transit is being improved now, with 24 hour rail and bus service (on
      some routes).

      I've found that getting around on a bike is pretty much impossible
      during rush hours, and anywhere near the major east/west roadways,
      without getting sick from the exhaust fumes. Florida used to have
      mandatory emissions testing for all vehicles, but that was abolished by
      Jeb Bush (thank him for it!). If you're moving to Miami, consider the
      accessibility to transit. A lot of the newer sprawl out to the west does
      not have transit service at all yet.

      Snit Zie wrote:

      >I'm new & just looking for advice/ideas:
      >
      >I've been getting around Denver pretty well without a car for a couple
      >of years now. I have some family in Florida, though, and I'm thinking
      >of moving there. Any suggestions on Florida cities that are easy to
      >get around without a car?
      >
      >At first I thought: it's Florida! It's 80 degrees all the time! You
      >could bike *constantly*...as opposed to Denver, where it's freezing
      >half the year. And I was thinking of trying Miami, just because I
      >wouldn't know what to do with myself if I weren't in a big city. But
      >Miami seems to be very sprawled-out. I wouldn't want to spend two
      >hours getting to work every morning...any info?
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Sara

      High Prince Crashalot of the Holy Order of Multiball Madness, Suburban
      Warrior of Disarray, Master of the Lost Circuit Collective

      Also known to the unenlightened as Tom Morris, KG4CYX

      Engineer of death and destruction, WDGR 1600 AM, Kendall

      Discordian Code V1.3 ( http://www.23ae.com/format/discordiancode/code13.html )
      DADA/DO Tpcy c s+:+ a-- Comp+++ P++ E++ F+ R+ tv+ b++ OM5 RAW? DC+ e* h! r
      !ys K+++

      Uniform Disinformation Locator: http://blueneon.xidus.net

      * Do not use this signature as toilet paper *