producing oil from waste etc....

  • barry goldman
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 24, 2003
      have any of you guys heard of this? know of any
      recent developments? could we continue our automotive
      ways by chucking corn plants into it?

      It seems some guys at a company changing world
      technologies might have a way to crack all kinds of
      organic wastes down to useable fuel without noxious
      atmospheric pollution. They even claim it could be
      done on fairly small scale? farmers can fuel their
      own machinery?

      http://www.discover.com/issues/may-03/features/featoil/
      http://www.changingworldtech.com/home.html
      http://www.boosman.com/blog/archives/000742.html

      which leads me to another question. anybody know if
      its feasible for farmers to produce their own ethanol
      to power their machinery?

      barry

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • Karen Sandness
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2003
        On 03.12.3 10:> Message: 10
        > Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:28:12 -0800
        > From: Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
        > Subject: HSR
        >
        > Was recently on the bullet trains in Japan. 2000-passenger loads
        > leaving every twenty minutes from downtowns everywhere, the station a
        > short subway or taxi ride from anywhere in any town (think twenty
        > minutes max), three levels of service (pay a little more for fewer
        > stops). And they turn a profit!

        Actually, that's every twenty minutes during the off-hours. During peak
        hours the trains run every *five minutes*--and that's just the bullet
        trains.

        On my trip three years ago, I was planning to take the train from Tokyo to
        visit some friends in Kamakura (home of the emblematic Great Buddha), which
        is perhaps 40 miles south. I phoned my friends to make arrangements and said
        that I would have to find out when the trains left.

        "Don't bother," my friend said. "The trains run every 12 minutes. Just give
        us a half-hour window of when you plan to leave Tokyo Station, and we'll be
        there to meet you."

        On that same trip, I road a country train that literally served as a school
        bus for junior and senior high school students who lived in villages that
        were too small to support a secondary school.

        Japan truly is transit heaven. On my last trip (spring 2002), I found a
        whole new railroad line running into Tokyo Station that had not been there
        before, and the subways are constantly under construction. They also have a
        second Shinkansen bullet train between Tokyo and Osaka on the drawing board
        (it would pass through different cities), because the existing one is
        reaching capacity.

        Despite their huge auto industry and some regrettable trends in the
        direction of car-oriented development in suburban areas, Japanese will be as
        ready as anyone in the world when the oil runs out.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness