Re: [carfree_cities] Working Bicycles

  • jym@econet.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2000
      > So I will be really pleased to see a new sort of work come
      > into existence, bike and trike deliveries that would make use
      > of the strength and energy of teenagers. It would keep them
      > out of the buy a car to get a job, work to support your car,
      > cycle.

      =v= Now, that's thinking!

      =v= I was as susceptible as anyone to the allure of the car when
      I turned 16. The stupid thing was a junker, and I had to sink
      money into it just to make it run. I had a dawning awareness
      that this was a really stupid arrangment, and I was surprised at
      how relieved I was to part with the car and return to my bike at
      age 19.

      =v= However, in my teen years, and even into my early 20s, most
      of the available employment specifically required a car (mostly
      it was stuff like pizza delivery). I needed work badly, but I
      couldn't afford another car. If my city had bike messengers, I
      would surely have become one. If it had bicycle-based delivery
      services, I would have loved taking a job like that!
      <_Jym_>