Work Bikes (was Transport Infrastructure)

  • jym@econet.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2000
      > I can see contests shaping up now, testosterone filled events
      > as guys demonstrate who can trike the hugest load up hill.

      =v= Like her? :^)

      http://www.things.org/~jym/critical-mass/pix/mar2000b-the-couch-in-oakland.jpg

      That couch is on a Fresh Aire trailer. Actually, it's got its
      own web page:

      http://guest.xinet.com/bike/couch/

      =v= No hills were involved, but these three testosterone-laden
      individuals towed a full-sized parade float last Sunday:

      http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/carn2000-towing-float.jpg

      The float carried an MC and a bunch of musicians. The rest of
      us biked around the float and danced to salsa music.

      > You could take kids shopping and bring home a week's worth of
      > groceries inside an 800 pound limit.

      =v= True, though those trikes are fairly expensive. I have a
      friend who's set up his bike to carry both of his daughters:

      http://www.things.org/~jym/critical-mass/pix/carcm-kash.jpg

      He also attaches a home-made trailer to this setup and goes
      grocery shopping for the family. For especially heavy loads
      he'll use an electric motor assist, though if both parents go
      shopping, this isn't necessary. (And soon the older child will
      be able to help pedal.)

      =v= Those PedEx guys do most of their deliveries using "long
      haul" style bikes, but those are also pretty expensive. I got
      a BicycleR Evolution trailer through Bike Friday:

      http://www.bikefriday.com/BicycleREvolution.cfm

      Lots of people buy these for grocery shopping, including me.
      I've also started using it to bring food and drinks along to
      events.

      =v= In fact, I was also in last Sunday's parade, towing
      refreshments and first aid behind my folding bike. I was
      delighted to discover that this trailer didn't impede my bike's
      ability to dance to the salsa music. Afterwards we had a
      "tailgate party" picnic, except that refreshments were not
      served from a tailgate:

      http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/carn2000-trailer-picnic.jpg

      <_Jym_>

      P.S.: Why did I title this "Work Bikes?" It sure looks like
      we're using them to have fun! Oh well ...