Re: Car-free cities and jobs

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
      > What's the effect of Paris' thousands of trees? Can more
      > be planted / the buildings be greened somehow?

      =v= Deciduous trees shade nearby buildings in the summer and let
      sunlight shine through in the winter. It's a good idea to plant
      more. I like the "green roofs" approach, as well.

      =v= And oh yeah, gotta stop all these cars from heating up the
      planet in the first place.
      <_Jym_>
    • Bijan Soleymani
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
        "Mike Neuman" <mtneuman@...> writes:

        > 15,000 Parishaners died in August from the record setting heat-wave
        > that reportedly took the lives of over 35,000 Europeans last summer.
        > Unless Paris invests heavily in air conditioning (and supplying the
        > electricity for it), I wouldn't advise anyone over 60 moving there
        > any time soon. Thanks to the U.S. and other heavy fossil fuel
        > burning countries of the world, the possibility of more of these
        > tragedies happening in the world will grow with each passing year,
        > especially in cities vulnerable to "heat island" effects.

        I realize that the world is probably getting warmer, but I've been to
        Paris twice (both times in the summer) and have to say that the
        weather was much better (cooler) than the weather where I live. And
        that happens to be Montreal, Canada :) Maybe it's less humid...

        Bijan
        --
        Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>
        http://www.crasseux.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
          "mauk_mcamuk" <mauk2@...> writes:

          >> >2) Building a city from scratch requires a formidable pile of
          > capital.
          >>
          >> So does any other development project; billion-dollar projects are
          >> now routine. The banks have the money; what's required is a
          > developer
          >> who believes in the idea and can convince a bank to fund it. This is
          >> well within the realm of possibility.
          >>

          > Have you done any work on how much capital it would take? more
          > importantly, how would you pay that capital back? Taxes on
          > residents?

          They could charge the residents for the convenience of living on their
          development. This is called rent. Another option is selling the
          housing units to the residents and having the banks lend them the
          money: mortgage. :)

          The problem isn't that there is no money to be made in carfree cities,
          but that it's easier for developpers to build suburban sprawl. It's
          easy, it's standardized, doesn't require as much capital, etc.

          Bijan
          --
          Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>
          http://www.crasseux.com