Re: [carfree_cities] Working Bicycles

  • Wade Eide
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
      On 2 Jun 2000, at 19:46, Doug Salzmann wrote:

      > It hasn't been so very long since bicycle deliveries of all kinds were
      > common, even in North America. I remember neighborhood grocers,
      > pharmacists, etc., all employed people (often teenagers) who made the
      > rounds via bicycle.

      Many dépanneurs (corner grocery stores) here in Montreal still use
      bike delivery. It's actually more a "trike" than a "bike"--a large
      basket on two wheels in the front, with the drive wheel in the back.
      (This reminds me, I gotta take a picture of one of them and post it
      on the Web.)

      Of course, we've also taken a few giant leaps backwards. The
      Gazette newspaper eliminated its bike delivery routes a couple of
      years ago. I forget what the rationale was. A few years ago, some
      enterprising young people started a pedicab business. They were
      quickly quashed by the association of taxi drivers. Or maybe they
      were just squashed, I can't remember...

      Wade Eide
      Montreal
    • Todd J. Binkley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
          So I will be really pleased to see a new
        sort of work come into existence, bike and trike deliveries that would
        make use of the strength and energy of teenagers.   It would keep them
        out of the buy a car to get a job, work to support your car, cycle.

        What a beautiful idea, especially in a nation of increasingly overweight children.  The health benefits of this would be hard to overestimate.  And kids who get into such a fitness routine, like the jocks on the high school football team, may be less inclined to pollute their bodies with drugs and excessive alcohol binges.  And when they do get drunk at parties, they'll be less likely to kill themselves or someone else on the way home if they're on that bike.  Someone who's too drunk to drive, can still get behind the wheel and do alot of damage.  Cycling requires more coordination.  If they're to drunk to ride, they're likely to realize this fairly quickly, and can simply walk the bike or lock it to the nearest pole and pick it up in the morning.

        T.J.

      • Martha Torell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
          > It hasn't been so very long since bicycle deliveries of all kinds were
          > common, even in North America. I remember neighborhood grocers,
          > pharmacists, etc., all employed people (often teenagers) who made the rounds
          > via bicycle.

          This brings up something important for a community. Work changes.
          Witness the rise of information technology and computer work and the
          decrease in factory jobs. So I will be really pleased to see a new
          sort of work come into existence, bike and trike deliveries that would
          make use of the strength and energy of teenagers. It would keep them
          out of the buy a car to get a job, work to support your car, cycle.

          Martha
        • EXPORTATION QUEBEC
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000

            I've seen those, they're nice and I feel they make a professional vehicle.
            It also makes more diversity in human vehicles, where we're accustomed
            to see bikes or trikes with the 2 wheels in the back.

            When shopping for a bike, I've even seen a large closed basket on two wheels
            made to be pulled while walking behind. This could be used to deliver
            newspapers, mail or grocery in a very dense neighborhood without carrying
            a heavy bag.

            > Of course, we've also taken a few giant leaps backwards. The
            > Gazette newspaper eliminated its bike delivery routes a couple of
            > years ago.
            What does it mean? Does it mean paperboys have to walk now?

            I forget what the rationale was. A few years ago, some
            > enterprising young people started a pedicab business. They were
            > quickly quashed by the association of taxi drivers. Or maybe they
            > were just squashed, I can't remember...
            Let's suggest some drivers within the association of taxi drivers to
            switch from gas car to the "yellow trike", the golf cart for single
            passengers, or like in the old port, the good old horse and carriage
            setup. Do you know if taxi drivers have the right to choose their vehicle?

            Louis-Luc
            Montreal

            > Wade Eide
            > Montreal

          • Martha Torell
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2000
              > > So I will be really pleased to see a new sort of work come
              > > into existence, bike and trike deliveries that would make use
              > > of the strength and energy of teenagers. It would keep them
              > > out of the buy a car to get a job, work to support your car,
              > > cycle.
              >
              > =v= Now, that's thinking!

              A few message back someone mentioned some kids who started a pedicab
              business. It would be a perfect adjunct for a car free area. Of
              course, if I were one of the kids, I would charge extra if the passenger
              wanted to use a whip. ;-)

              Martha