Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Car-free cities and jobs

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 6, 2003
      dearleb said:

      >Attracting employment to such a place is another question - most
      >likely hefty incentives would be needed for some time to encourage
      >employers and start-up enterprises to such an environment.

      I don't think subsides will be needed. Modern economies are knowledge-
      based and succeed by attracting highly skilled people in very short
      supply. One of the ways to do this is to offer them a very pleasant
      living environment. I think, therefore, that knowledge-based companies
      would be eager to locate in a good carfree enivronment.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

    • mauk_mcamuk
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 6, 2003
        I concur, and think a purpose-built city designed from the
        foundations up with the newest advances combined with the wisdom of
        the centuries would be a fabulous place to live.

        There are two large entry barriers to this, unfortunately.

        1) Most of the best places to live already have cities on them.

        2) Building a city from scratch requires a formidable pile of capital.

        While the carfree city website is beautiful, and is simply chockful
        of excellent ideas, I didn't see much there that addresses either of
        those two entry barriers, except for that plan to "carfree" the city
        of Lyon (i think it was Lyon....).

        As a note, another site I find interesting is:

        http://www.victorycities.com/

        While that site is breathtakingly evocative of the 50's, it is an
        interesting look at a true arcology. I could see structures like
        this being integrated into a larger carfree plan quite easily.

        > dearleb said:
        >
        > >Attracting employment to such a place is another question - most
        > >likely hefty incentives would be needed for some time to encourage
        > >employers and start-up enterprises to such an environment.
        >
        > I don't think subsides will be needed. Modern economies are
        knowledge-
        > based and succeed by attracting highly skilled people in very short
        > supply. One of the ways to do this is to offer them a very pleasant
        > living environment. I think, therefore, that knowledge-based
        companies
        > would be eager to locate in a good carfree enivronment.
        >
        > Regards,

      • Tony Brewer
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 6, 2003
          mauk_mcamuk wrote:
          > J. H. Crawford wrote:
          > > dearleb wrote:
          > > >
          > > >Attracting employment to such a place is another question - most
          > > >likely hefty incentives would be needed for some time to encourage
          > > >employers and start-up enterprises to such an environment.
          > >
          > > I don't think subsides will be needed. Modern economies are
          > knowledge-
          > > based and succeed by attracting highly skilled people in very short
          > > supply. One of the ways to do this is to offer them a very pleasant
          > > living environment. I think, therefore, that knowledge-based
          > companies
          > > would be eager to locate in a good carfree enivronment.
          >
          > I concur, and think a purpose-built city designed from the
          > foundations up with the newest advances combined with the wisdom of
          > the centuries would be a fabulous place to live.
          >
          > There are two large entry barriers to this, unfortunately.
          >
          > 1) Most of the best places to live already have cities on them.
          >
          > 2) Building a city from scratch requires a formidable pile of capital.
          >

          > While the carfree city website is beautiful, and is simply chockful
          > of excellent ideas, I didn't see much there that addresses either of
          > those two entry barriers, except for that plan to "carfree" the city
          > of Lyon (i think it was Lyon....).

          It's important to remember that millions of people all over the world
          already live in centuries-old carfree cities.
        • mauk_mcamuk
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 6, 2003
            You are absolutely right!

            Now, what are we supposed to do with the three billion additional
            people expected to share the world with us by 2050?

            I think Paris might be full...... :)

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
              mauk_mcamuk said:

              >I concur, and think a purpose-built city designed from the
              >foundations up with the newest advances combined with the wisdom of
              >the centuries would be a fabulous place to live.
              >
              >There are two large entry barriers to this, unfortunately.
              >
              >1) Most of the best places to live already have cities on them.

              Not necessarily so. I found two locations in the Netherlands, one
              of the most densely populated nations in the world, where the
              Reference Design could be built without significant alteration.
              It's true that in mountainous regions the good spaces may be
              mostly taken, but anywhere we're building suburbs today is a
              potential spot for a carfree city. The spaces don't need to be huge
              in order to support a large population.

              >2) Building a city from scratch requires a formidable pile of capital.

              So does any other development project; billion-dollar projects are
              now routine. The banks have the money; what's required is a developer
              who believes in the idea and can convince a bank to fund it. This is
              well within the realm of possibility.

              >While the carfree city website is beautiful, and is simply chockful
              >of excellent ideas, I didn't see much there that addresses either of
              >those two entry barriers, except for that plan to "carfree" the city
              >of Lyon (i think it was Lyon....).

              As with many questions, this matter is taken up in much more detail
              in the book.

              As to the question of "what to do with 3 billiion more people,"
              the obvious answer is to build carfree cities for them. No other
              approach is likely to give them a reasonable quality of life while
              preserving the global environment.

              Regards,

              -- ### --

            • Mike Neuman
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                15,000 Parishaners died in August from the record setting heat-wave
                that reportedly took the lives of over 35,000 Europeans last summer.
                Unless Paris invests heavily in air conditioning (and supplying the
                electricity for it), I wouldn't advise anyone over 60 moving there
                any time soon. Thanks to the U.S. and other heavy fossil fuel
                burning countries of the world, the possibility of more of these
                tragedies happening in the world will grow with each passing year,
                especially in cities vulnerable to "heat island" effects.

                --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "mauk_mcamuk" <mauk2@h...>
                wrote:
                > You are absolutely right!
                >
                > Now, what are we supposed to do with the three billion additional
                > people expected to share the world with us by 2050?
                >
                > I think Paris might be full...... :)
                >

                > > It's important to remember that millions of people all over the
                > world
                > > already live in centuries-old carfree cities.
              • prometeus57
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                  --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Neuman" <mtneuman@j...>
                  wrote:
                  > 15,000 Parishaners died in August from the record setting heat-wave
                  > that reportedly took the lives of over 35,000 Europeans last summer.
                  > Unless Paris invests heavily in air conditioning (and supplying the
                  > electricity for it), I wouldn't advise anyone over 60 moving there

                  What's the effect of Paris' thousands of trees? Can more be planted /
                  the buildings be greened somehow?
                • mauk_mcamuk
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                    > Not necessarily so. I found two locations in the Netherlands, one
                    > of the most densely populated nations in the world, where the
                    > Reference Design could be built without significant alteration.
                    > It's true that in mountainous regions the good spaces may be
                    > mostly taken, but anywhere we're building suburbs today is a
                    > potential spot for a carfree city. The spaces don't need to be huge
                    > in order to support a large population.

                    Hrrrrrm... Would it be possible to pitch a "carfree city" as a
                    planned urban development, or essentially a large suburb? In other
                    words, have the large industrial areas contain MAJOR parking areas at
                    first, and essentially let the first few developments grow using a
                    nearby city as the economic base. After you get a few neighborhoods
                    established, with a little luck, it would become self-sustaining.

                    > >2) Building a city from scratch requires a formidable pile of
                    capital.

                    > So does any other development project; billion-dollar projects are
                    > now routine. The banks have the money; what's required is a
                    developer
                    > who believes in the idea and can convince a bank to fund it. This is
                    > well within the realm of possibility.

                    Have you done any work on how much capital it would take? more
                    importantly, how would you pay that capital back? Taxes on
                    residents?
                  • Mike Neuman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                      I suppose more trees in the cities would help, if nothing else but to
                      not make things worse with more and more pavement.

                      Spraying with cool water also keeps people's internal temperatures
                      down. Other ways to stay cool include spending more time in the
                      basement (if you have one), staying out of the sun, avoiding
                      strenuous physical activities and drinking fluids. But air
                      conditioning will become key for many areas, as it has already for
                      many metropolitan areas located in the warmer climates.

                      There doesn't appear to be much else one can do, other than to hope
                      such a heat wave doesn't occur again, in Europe or elsewhere, at
                      least in the near future.

                      Chances are increasing that it will, of course, as global warming
                      continues to worsen. Cities all over the Northern Hemisphere should
                      be preparing right now for the potential for more unusually hot
                      weather to possibly occur again next summer. If we don't get it,
                      that would be great. But if we do get it, we had best be prepared
                      for it. Otherwise, what happened in Paris this past August could be
                      repeated, many times over, in many other cities. That
                      would be catastrophic.

                      Unfortunately, this problem is going to get much worse in time. That
                      is what 999 scientist out of 1,000 will tell you if they are informed
                      at all in this area. (The one remaining will have been paid by the
                      fossil fuel/transportation/media industries to tell you otherwise.)

                      Every year, global warming will get worse and worse. It has been
                      already, and there is no reason to believe things will not continue
                      to deteriorate in time.

                      Yet most of the people in government, especially at the federal
                      agency level in the U.S., will still say they fail to see the problem
                      coming, or becoming that serious at any time soon. They are wrong.

                      Some might think that, but they won't volunteer to talk about it,
                      much less listen to someone else who tries to press on them the need
                      to become concerned about it. Bob Dylan called it "killing the
                      prophets".

                      I know a man who has been working for the National Weather Service
                      in this country for 25 years. He and I talked about this problem
                      back in January 2000. It was clear to us then, after having read many
                      of the studies and having specialized in climate related fields at
                      the university, that this was going to be a huge, huge problem if
                      society didn't start to act to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
                      levels, almost right away. We could tell that then. At this same
                      time, Dan Rather from CBS news did a program on his nightly news show
                      that raised the issue of the growing problem with the warming
                      climate. You could tell he was concerned. Even later outgoing
                      president Clinton said it was going to be the most important issue of
                      the century.

                      The man I know started to raise this issue to his superiors at the
                      National Weather Service about four years ago. They would have
                      nothing to do with it. Global warming was not in their job
                      description.

                      So the guy send an email to people in Washington about it, about the
                      end of January 2000 as I recall. That's when the sh-- hit the fan -
                      but just for him, of course. The people in Washington who run the
                      National Weather Service - a guy named Jack Kelly, (now deputy
                      director of NOAA) & others - they wouldn't stand for it. Who does
                      one of our employees think he is telling us in Washington we had
                      better stop ignoring a big problem like global warming in our
                      weather and flooding prediction policies? (they said.)

                      Over time, they awarded the guy 3 separate disciplinary suspensions
                      (without pay of course).

                      With NOAA and the National Weather Service now under the "new"
                      administration (Global Warmer Bush, etc.), things haven't gotten any
                      better. In fact, they are worse now than ever. He is preparing now
                      for reactionary measures again -- probably dismissal --
                      because he went ahead and issued his own public news release, on a
                      study he recently completed that provides increasing evidence of more
                      rapid global warming now than ever before. He put out $500 of his own
                      money to do it even. And now he's probably going to loose his job as
                      well, only a couple of years away from retirement.

                      I could go on with more details about this, but this forum doesn't
                      seem to be the correct place to do that. It's just that it turns my
                      stomach. Here's a guy who had no other motive than to speak up about
                      an impending threat to all of us - to raise awareness of the problem
                      so others would start to take the issue more seriously and work
                      constructively to solve it. Yet the people he raises the problem to
                      dump all over him for it. These are people in high places of our
                      government, people who are paid generously with public money to
                      protect the public's welfare in a matter as universally important to
                      everyone as the climate and weather. Blame them -- not the
                      scientists, messengers and profits for this problem. Those bums
                      should have been thrown out before Bush took office. Just look what
                      they have (not) done!

                      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "prometeus57"
                      <prometeus57@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Neuman"
                      <mtneuman@j...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > 15,000 Parishaners died in August from the record setting heat-
                      wave
                      > > that reportedly took the lives of over 35,000 Europeans last
                      summer.
                      > > Unless Paris invests heavily in air conditioning (and supplying
                      the
                      > > electricity for it), I wouldn't advise anyone over 60 moving
                      there

                      > What's the effect of Paris' thousands of trees? Can more be
                      planted /
                      > the buildings be greened somehow?
                    • Jym Dyer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                        > What's the effect of Paris' thousands of trees? Can more
                        > be planted / the buildings be greened somehow?

                        =v= Deciduous trees shade nearby buildings in the summer and let
                        sunlight shine through in the winter. It's a good idea to plant
                        more. I like the "green roofs" approach, as well.

                        =v= And oh yeah, gotta stop all these cars from heating up the
                        planet in the first place.
                        <_Jym_>
                      • Bijan Soleymani
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                          "Mike Neuman" <mtneuman@...> writes:

                          > 15,000 Parishaners died in August from the record setting heat-wave
                          > that reportedly took the lives of over 35,000 Europeans last summer.
                          > Unless Paris invests heavily in air conditioning (and supplying the
                          > electricity for it), I wouldn't advise anyone over 60 moving there
                          > any time soon. Thanks to the U.S. and other heavy fossil fuel
                          > burning countries of the world, the possibility of more of these
                          > tragedies happening in the world will grow with each passing year,
                          > especially in cities vulnerable to "heat island" effects.

                          I realize that the world is probably getting warmer, but I've been to
                          Paris twice (both times in the summer) and have to say that the
                          weather was much better (cooler) than the weather where I live. And
                          that happens to be Montreal, Canada :) Maybe it's less humid...

                          Bijan
                          --
                          Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>
                          http://www.crasseux.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                            "mauk_mcamuk" <mauk2@...> writes:

                            >> >2) Building a city from scratch requires a formidable pile of
                            > capital.
                            >>
                            >> So does any other development project; billion-dollar projects are
                            >> now routine. The banks have the money; what's required is a
                            > developer
                            >> who believes in the idea and can convince a bank to fund it. This is
                            >> well within the realm of possibility.
                            >>

                            > Have you done any work on how much capital it would take? more
                            > importantly, how would you pay that capital back? Taxes on
                            > residents?

                            They could charge the residents for the convenience of living on their
                            development. This is called rent. Another option is selling the
                            housing units to the residents and having the banks lend them the
                            money: mortgage. :)

                            The problem isn't that there is no money to be made in carfree cities,
                            but that it's easier for developpers to build suburban sprawl. It's
                            easy, it's standardized, doesn't require as much capital, etc.

                            Bijan
                            --
                            Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>
                            http://www.crasseux.com