Re: [carfree_cities] Re: NYTimes.com Article: As Earth Warms, the Hottest Issue Is Energy

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Mike Neuman <mtneuman@...>
      Sent: Nov 6, 2003 2:22 PM
      To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [carfree_cities] Re: NYTimes.com Article: As Earth Warms, the Hottest Issue Is Energy

      What is it that you'd like us to say?

      Your own opinion based on your own interpretation, of course. My own take was that making cars slightly more efficient is not as important as simply reducing the "need" for so many cars.

      I'm more convinced of this now after seeing the extreme efficiency of rail/bicycle based transport in Tokyo this week. Although it's near the limit of the number of people it can support, it couldn't support 1/4 as many using cars for primary transport--and probably much less. And would use much more energy. (Thought he energy the Japanese save by not driving, they seem compelled to waste lighting up shopping districts Las-Vegas-style...!)

      Richard