Re: Protect Our Ability To Stop Small Engine Pollution

  • mauk_mcamuk
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
      > Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
      > apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
      > steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16
      HP
      > gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
      > loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240
      VAC,
      > would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines
      allowed
      > in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor
      at a
      > house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
      > there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

      If I recall correctly, most houses today (in the US at least) are fed
      by a 240volt three phase feed, and the main breaker is a 200 amp
      behemoth.

      Many electric ranges use a 240 volt plug with a 50 amp breaker on
      it. In a carless city, it would be no hardship to place a few more
      of those plugs about the house. As a matter of fact, my house has a
      240v 50 amp GFI drop to the back yard.

      As for more efficient, I would be REALLY surprised if that steamer
      was getting anywhere near 12,000 watts of use from that gas motor.
      Conversion efficiencies usually are not so good.