Re: Protect Our Ability To Stop Small Engine Pollution

  • william stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Yet another reason why carfree cities are desirable; all the land in
      suburban yards that are reluctantly mowed with polluting small engines
      could otherwise be CO2 absorbing forests or crop producing agriculture.

      Will
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        In a carfree city, landscaped areas would be smaller and could be
        easily taken care of with quiet, plug-in lawn care tools--mower,
        edger, weed eater, hedge trimmer, etc. A 120 VAC/15 A power source is
        more than enough for all of these, and although gas mowers have a
        performance edge, that won't be needed when every home doesn't have
        >5000 square feet of grass.

        Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
        apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
        steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16 HP
        gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
        loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240 VAC,
        would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines allowed
        in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor at a
        house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
        there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

        ~matt

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, william stewart
        <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
        > Yet another reason why carfree cities are desirable; all the land
        in
        > suburban yards that are reluctantly mowed with polluting small
        engines
        > could otherwise be CO2 absorbing forests or crop producing
        agriculture.

        > Will
      • mauk_mcamuk
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
          > Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
          > apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
          > steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16
          HP
          > gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
          > loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240
          VAC,
          > would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines
          allowed
          > in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor
          at a
          > house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
          > there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

          If I recall correctly, most houses today (in the US at least) are fed
          by a 240volt three phase feed, and the main breaker is a 200 amp
          behemoth.

          Many electric ranges use a 240 volt plug with a 50 amp breaker on
          it. In a carless city, it would be no hardship to place a few more
          of those plugs about the house. As a matter of fact, my house has a
          240v 50 amp GFI drop to the back yard.

          As for more efficient, I would be REALLY surprised if that steamer
          was getting anywhere near 12,000 watts of use from that gas motor.
          Conversion efficiencies usually are not so good.