Re: [carfree_cities] Protect Our Ability To Stop Small Engine Pollution

  • Ross or Judy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      I think installing catalitic converters on small engines is a good idea
      however, the parameters that are used to measure 'pollution' of these small
      engines does not include greenhouse gas emisions. Once greenhouse emisions
      and thier long term effect on life on this planet are added into the
      equation, you will find that the larger engines will almost always pollute
      more.
      Porsche is selling a 450hp car. I would much rather that was regulated then
      a little 2 stroke scooter. At least with all that blue smoke coming out the
      back of the scooter we SEE the pollution and due its size, it is much less
      of a threat. They won't see the climate changing gas coming out of that so
      called 'clean' car.
      Ross
    • william stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Yet another reason why carfree cities are desirable; all the land in
        suburban yards that are reluctantly mowed with polluting small engines
        could otherwise be CO2 absorbing forests or crop producing agriculture.

        Will
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          In a carfree city, landscaped areas would be smaller and could be
          easily taken care of with quiet, plug-in lawn care tools--mower,
          edger, weed eater, hedge trimmer, etc. A 120 VAC/15 A power source is
          more than enough for all of these, and although gas mowers have a
          performance edge, that won't be needed when every home doesn't have
          >5000 square feet of grass.

          Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
          apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
          steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16 HP
          gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
          loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240 VAC,
          would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines allowed
          in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor at a
          house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
          there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

          ~matt

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, william stewart
          <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
          > Yet another reason why carfree cities are desirable; all the land
          in
          > suburban yards that are reluctantly mowed with polluting small
          engines
          > could otherwise be CO2 absorbing forests or crop producing
          agriculture.

          > Will
        • mauk_mcamuk
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
            > Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
            > apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
            > steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16
            HP
            > gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
            > loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240
            VAC,
            > would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines
            allowed
            > in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor
            at a
            > house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
            > there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

            If I recall correctly, most houses today (in the US at least) are fed
            by a 240volt three phase feed, and the main breaker is a 200 amp
            behemoth.

            Many electric ranges use a 240 volt plug with a 50 amp breaker on
            it. In a carless city, it would be no hardship to place a few more
            of those plugs about the house. As a matter of fact, my house has a
            240v 50 amp GFI drop to the back yard.

            As for more efficient, I would be REALLY surprised if that steamer
            was getting anywhere near 12,000 watts of use from that gas motor.
            Conversion efficiencies usually are not so good.