Protect Our Ability To Stop Small Engine Pollution

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      =v= I figure this action alert will be of interest to folks
      on this list who are interested in breathing clean air in
      cities. The alert doesn't mention it, but the little engines
      on those scooters chugging on the sidewalks and in the bike
      lanes in front of you are similarly unregulated, and similarly
      polluting more than cars. So this issue is quite relevant to
      anyone working on green city transportation issues.
      <_Jym_>

      =============8<=============Cut-Here=============8<=============

      SaveOurEnvironment.org Action Center Update: October 30, 2003

      You can send a fax immediately to your Representative by replying to
      this message.

      Pushing an average gas-powered lawnmower for an hour pollutes as
      much as driving 40 cars for an hour. To address the pollution from
      these and other small engines, California plans a precedent-setting
      initiative to require manufacturers to equip new engines with
      catalytic converters beginning in 2008. However, Senator Kit Bond
      of Missouri, urged on by lobbyists for mower-producer Briggs and
      Stratton, has introduced a provision that would revoke California
      or any other state's authority to regulate small engine pollution.
      House members, however, have not yet agreed to this provision.

      Take Action!

      Please urge your Representative to protect states rights and their
      air by blocking any attempt to include this rider in any final
      appropriations bill. If this provision is allowed to go through, it
      will be a major setback for state rights, public health, and air
      quality.

      You can send a fax immediately to your Representative by replying to
      this message.

      Dear Representative,

      I am very concerned about a rider inserted by Senator Bond in the
      Senate VA, HUD, and Independent Agencies appropriations legislation
      that would prohibit states from addressing pollution emitted from
      engines such as lawn mowers, generators, forklifts and backhoes. I
      strongly urge you to help block this harmful provision from being
      attached to any final appropriations bill.

      Soot and smog pollution emitted from small engines are a significant
      pollution source -- pollution that has been linked to premature
      death, asthma, and heart attacks. California has taken the lead in
      tackling this significant problem. The state's newly proposed
      emission standards for engines less than 25hp would cut emissions
      equivalent to removing more than one million cars from the roads by
      2010.

      The Bond provision would prohibit California, or any other state,
      from putting this or other needed public and environmental heath
      initiatives into action. This runs entirely counter to the spirit of
      the Clean Air Act, which explicitly asserts that states and local
      districts are best equipped to determine the specific actions needed
      to clean the air in their particular areas.

      The House version of the VA/HUD appropriations bill does not include
      this anti-environmental initiative, thereby providing an important
      opportunity to keep it out of any final bill. Please urge your
      colleagues on the Appropriations Committee to block this damaging
      rider from a final VA/HUD or omnibus appropriations conference
      report. I look forward to hearing your position on this important
      matter.

      Sincerely,

      [your name inserted here]

      Thanks for using the SaveOurEnvironment.org Action Center
      http://www.saveourenvironment.org and working together with the
      nation's most influential environmental groups in the crucial battles
      to protect our air and water; our lands, forests, and oceans; our
      wildlife; our children's future; and our planet's climate.
    • Ross or Judy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
        I think installing catalitic converters on small engines is a good idea
        however, the parameters that are used to measure 'pollution' of these small
        engines does not include greenhouse gas emisions. Once greenhouse emisions
        and thier long term effect on life on this planet are added into the
        equation, you will find that the larger engines will almost always pollute
        more.
        Porsche is selling a 450hp car. I would much rather that was regulated then
        a little 2 stroke scooter. At least with all that blue smoke coming out the
        back of the scooter we SEE the pollution and due its size, it is much less
        of a threat. They won't see the climate changing gas coming out of that so
        called 'clean' car.
        Ross
      • william stewart
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Yet another reason why carfree cities are desirable; all the land in
          suburban yards that are reluctantly mowed with polluting small engines
          could otherwise be CO2 absorbing forests or crop producing agriculture.

          Will
        • Matt Hohmeister
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
            In a carfree city, landscaped areas would be smaller and could be
            easily taken care of with quiet, plug-in lawn care tools--mower,
            edger, weed eater, hedge trimmer, etc. A 120 VAC/15 A power source is
            more than enough for all of these, and although gas mowers have a
            performance edge, that won't be needed when every home doesn't have
            >5000 square feet of grass.

            Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
            apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
            steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16 HP
            gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
            loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240 VAC,
            would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines allowed
            in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor at a
            house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
            there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

            ~matt

            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, william stewart
            <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
            > Yet another reason why carfree cities are desirable; all the land
            in
            > suburban yards that are reluctantly mowed with polluting small
            engines
            > could otherwise be CO2 absorbing forests or crop producing
            agriculture.

            > Will
          • mauk_mcamuk
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
              > Here's a question on that subject matter, btw. I was once having my
              > apartment carpet steamed upon move-out, as the lease required. The
              > steamer's hose ran to the van outside my apartment, which had a 16
              HP
              > gas engine running the steamer; needless to say, it was extremely
              > loud. A quick calculation shows that 16 HP is 12 kW, which at 240
              VAC,
              > would be 50 A. In our carfree city, with no combustion engines
              allowed
              > in the city, how would a carpet steamer operate their 12 kW motor
              at a
              > house? Most houses I know of don't have 240 VAC/50 A outlets. Or is
              > there a better/more efficient way to clean carpets?

              If I recall correctly, most houses today (in the US at least) are fed
              by a 240volt three phase feed, and the main breaker is a 200 amp
              behemoth.

              Many electric ranges use a 240 volt plug with a 50 amp breaker on
              it. In a carless city, it would be no hardship to place a few more
              of those plugs about the house. As a matter of fact, my house has a
              240v 50 amp GFI drop to the back yard.

              As for more efficient, I would be REALLY surprised if that steamer
              was getting anywhere near 12,000 watts of use from that gas motor.
              Conversion efficiencies usually are not so good.