Car Free Zones Within Cities

  • Andrew Preble
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2 8:43 PM
      There is alot of talk in New Orleans about car free zones along the
      Mississippi River because there are tons of blighted wharf property that
      is being transformed into beautiful parks and carfree areas. There is
      one project in particular that is doing this near the convention center
      because the river front streetcar line is building an extension to
      accommodate development. I will let you know of all updates to the
      project.
      --Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3 7:16 AM
        Andrew said:

        >There is alot of talk in New Orleans about car free zones along the
        >Mississippi River because there are tons of blighted wharf property that
        >is being transformed into beautiful parks and carfree areas. There is
        >one project in particular that is doing this near the convention center
        >because the river front streetcar line is building an extension to
        >accommodate development. I will let you know of all updates to the
        >project.

        The Toronto proposal is a lot like the one you're making for
        NOLA (New Orleans, LA). It sounds like a good plan, and NOLA
        can use all the tourism it can get (I believe the local economy
        is chronically ill). There's nothing like carfree areas to draw
        people to them (ask any shopping mall operator!). Venice gets
        more than twice as many tourists as any other Italian city.
        It's the only place that isn't overrun by cars. It's good
        business as well as sound environmentalism.

        ###

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
      • Andrew Preble
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3 3:22 PM
          NOLA does seem to have a constant problem with the economy and the streetcars have
          done wonderful things for it. Also the many museums that have recently opened up
          or are opening like the national D-Day museum and the Aquarium of the Americas that
          has been the major force behind the Woldenburg River front Park which is directly
          in front of the Aquarium with the river front streetcar line running thought it.

          "J.H. Crawford" wrote:

          > It sounds like a good plan, and NOLA can use all the tourism it can get (I
          > believe the local economy is chronically ill). There's nothing like carfree areas
          > to draw
          > people to them (ask any shopping mall operator!). Venice gets more than twice as
          > many tourists as any other Italian city. It's the only place that isn't overrun
          > by cars. It's good business as well as sound environmentalism.
          >
          > ###
          >
          > J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
          > postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com

        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3 4:58 PM
            Martha Torell wrote:
            >Mackinac Island has nearly always been car free and even with raging
            >tourism in the summers has retained much of its charm. It's really
            >funny, auto barons summered there, and quickly got an ordinance passed -
            >no automobiles. There are emergency vehicles on the island, and an
            >airport, but it seems so funny, guys the auto industry had made rich
            >were the first to make sure that the auto did not invade their paradise.

            It's kind of like how Herny Ford set up the "Greenfiled Village". Dawson
            http://www.hfmgv.org/index2.html
          • Martha Torell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4 4:30 AM
              > is chronically ill). There's nothing like carfree areas to draw
              > people to them (ask any shopping mall operator!). Venice gets
              > more than twice as many tourists as any other Italian city.
              > It's the only place that isn't overrun by cars. It's good
              > business as well as sound environmentalism.

              Mackinac Island has nearly always been car free and even with raging
              tourism in the summers has retained much of its charm. It's really
              funny, auto barons summered there, and quickly got an ordinance passed -
              no automobiles. There are emergency vehicles on the island, and an
              airport, but it seems so funny, guys the auto industry had made rich
              were the first to make sure that the auto did not invade their paradise.

              Martha
            • Bruce Minturn
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4 7:13 AM
                > Mackinac Island has nearly always been car free and even with raging
                > tourism in the summers has retained much of its charm. It's really
                > funny, auto barons summered there, and quickly got an ordinance passed -
                > no automobiles. There are emergency vehicles on the island, and an
                > airport, but it seems so funny, guys the auto industry had made rich
                > were the first to make sure that the auto did not invade their paradise.
                >
                > Martha

                Here in Seattle, we have a park which rings a small lake. Called Green Lake,
                it is a 5 km walk around the lake on a paved walking trail. Cars are driven
                and parked around the perimeter of the park and are never out of sight or
                hearing, but people can walk the entire 5 km without directly encountering a
                moving or parked vehicle. On a sunny day, winter or summer, it can be so
                crowded with people that it is difficult to walk at a steady pace. I have
                read that Green Lake is the most popular park (# of visits) in the State of
                Washington. I credit this to the car free ambiance and safety of the park. I
                can think of no other place, other than remote hiking trails in the forests,
                where one can walk for an hour without that certain wariness demanded
                wherever a car has access. Few other people make this connection, however.
                At a meeting of a local neighborhood planning committee, a proposal to close
                the perimeter roads to auto traffic was put forth. This was immediately
                attacked by property owners and business operators around the lake, fearful
                of their customers losing access. I suggested that, on the contrary, their
                properties would become like Green Lake itself, the most visited in the
                state. But that possibility required imagination and the proposal was
                quickly discarded.

                Bruce
              • Martha Torell
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7 2:13 AM
                  There are emergency vehicles on the island, and an
                  > >airport, but it seems so funny, guys the auto industry had made rich
                  > >were the first to make sure that the auto did not invade their paradise.
                  >
                  > It's kind of like how Herny Ford set up the "Greenfiled Village". Dawson
                  > http://www.hfmgv.org/index2.html

                  What irony! What incredible, delicious irony.

                  Martha