Re: [[carfree_cities] Car-free cities and jobs]

  • Lloyd Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13 3:02 AM
      I think there is a strong case for believing that a car-free environment would
      actually create more jobs. First, there has been a good bit of research done
      in car-free or pedestrianised areas of cities. Hass-Klau (1993) summarised a
      wealth of studies showing that retail activity and employment in these areas
      increased. Second, automobile investments actually have a rather poor job
      multiplier effect. This is because much of the investment in a vehicle is
      capital intensive (materials) rather than employment intensive. If the same
      investment was applied to another sector, such as education, then the job
      multiplier effect would be far more substantial. Finally, the negative
      impacts of automobiles (pollution, congestion, accidents, severance, etc.)
      means that again resources are being utilised inefficiently. If those same
      resources were used to more productive uses, then employment would certainly
      increase.

      Lloyd Wright

      "amqx" <amqx@...> wrote:

      Let me start by saying that I strongly support the idea of car-free
      cities. It fits perfectly with my philosophy that society is based on
      human interaction.

      However, I was discussing it with a friend of mine, and he brought up
      an interesting issue. Eliminating cars would leave countless people
      unemployed. Would car-free cities create any new jobs that could
      replace them, such as train and bus building?
      --Justin