Re: The driving factor

  • Karen Sandmess
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
      Meanwhile, Minneapolis is being tugged in two directions. On the one
      hand, there is a startlingly larger amount of housing downtown and on
      the edge of downtown than there was even ten years ago. The most
      expensive condominiums and apartments boast of being connected to the
      skyway system, which offers the possibility of walking to work in all
      weather without going outside. In addition, three first-ring suburbs
      (that I know of) are building "town center" developments with housing
      located over commercial space. One of the town centers is at the head
      of a bicycle trail that runs all the way to the downtown area. A suburb
      slightly farther out, which was once an independent agricultural
      community, has revitalized its old downtown.

      Yet ex-urban migration has not ceased by any means. Just last year,
      one of my cousins and her husband, both of whom work downtown, bought a
      trophy house forty miles out of the city. Their address is in a town
      that I remember as a tiny cluster of houses surrounded by miles of
      farmland, but according to my mother, who has actually visited them,
      there is very little farmland left in the area. Neither of us can
      figure out why a couple with two small children would want such a long
      commute. I guess the herd instinct and the conventional wisdom of
      "cities bad, suburbs good, edge of the cornfields better" must be
      powerful enough to override common sense. Either that or they've fallen
      into the mindset of, "We can afford a bigger house if we live out here."

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness