The driving factor

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2003
      This story was sent to you by: Rick

      --------------------
      The driving factor
      --------------------

      Commute time is becoming increasingly important in home-buying decisions.

      By Morris Newman
      Special to The Times

      October 5 2003

      It may have been its Mission architecture that inspired Jim Grace and Cameron Kelley to buy their new home in Los Angeles' Koreatown, but slashing their travel time to work made them fall in love with the place.

      The complete article can be viewed at:
      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-re-car5oct05,1,6059076.story?coll=la-util-news-local

      Visit Latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com
    • Karen Sandmess
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
        Meanwhile, Minneapolis is being tugged in two directions. On the one
        hand, there is a startlingly larger amount of housing downtown and on
        the edge of downtown than there was even ten years ago. The most
        expensive condominiums and apartments boast of being connected to the
        skyway system, which offers the possibility of walking to work in all
        weather without going outside. In addition, three first-ring suburbs
        (that I know of) are building "town center" developments with housing
        located over commercial space. One of the town centers is at the head
        of a bicycle trail that runs all the way to the downtown area. A suburb
        slightly farther out, which was once an independent agricultural
        community, has revitalized its old downtown.

        Yet ex-urban migration has not ceased by any means. Just last year,
        one of my cousins and her husband, both of whom work downtown, bought a
        trophy house forty miles out of the city. Their address is in a town
        that I remember as a tiny cluster of houses surrounded by miles of
        farmland, but according to my mother, who has actually visited them,
        there is very little farmland left in the area. Neither of us can
        figure out why a couple with two small children would want such a long
        commute. I guess the herd instinct and the conventional wisdom of
        "cities bad, suburbs good, edge of the cornfields better" must be
        powerful enough to override common sense. Either that or they've fallen
        into the mindset of, "We can afford a bigger house if we live out here."

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness