7 million carfree for a day

  • Ron Wolf
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2003
      I'm in Israel for a couple of weeks working for a client in the so
      called Israeli Silicon Valley in Herzilya, just North of Tel Aviv.
      Yom Kippur, the most holy of Jewish holidays started at sundown.
      And with it, all powered vehicles were shut down. This is done every
      year, but this was the first that I'd heard of it, and I don't find
      reference to this car free event in Car Free cities or on this
      discsussion. I bet there is nothing like this anywhere else, 7
      million more or less 1st world people taking a break from their car
      for a day.

      And, indeed, it is wonderfully quiet and safe on the streets. I just
      got back from a long walk, it felt great! No looking over my
      shoulder for that left turning driver when crossing streets, no tire
      noise from passing cars, no waiting my turn to cross a street (when
      my turn is, of course, always last).... Life as it should be. Hmmm,
      think about it, it took an order from God to get the Israelis to
      stop driving for a day. It is a miracle!

      Too bad that only us carfree crazies get it; how terrific this
      really is. You'd think that a day like this would start some people
      to think. But no, the Israelis make up for this day off by being
      terrible pushy risky drivers the rest of the year.

      So, yes, I agree that carfree days are close to useless; a crutch to
      feel better about a situation that just plain sucks (the domination
      of cars that is). But I'm going to enjoy this windfall for the one
      day that I can. I've rented a bicycle and tomorrow, for the 1st time
      in my life, I'm going to have a fearless (like in without fear) ride
      on the roads.

      I'll report again at the end of the day tomorrow.

      _________________Ron Wolf
    • Ron Wolf
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
        As promised, I'm reporting back in. My bike ride to Jaffa on
        Israel's car free Holy Day, Yom Kippur was everything that I hoped
        it would be. Parent's pushing strollers down the middle of normally
        busy streets, packs of kids biking freely, pedistrians crossing
        streets unhurriedly, quiet.....

        If you like to read a bit more about my minor adventure and see some
        pics then go to:

        http://www.mimi.com/ronStuff/Israel0309/bikeRideToJaffa/

        _________Ron Wolf
      • Mike Harrington