RE: [carfree_cities] urban mobility study

  • Patrick McDonough
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      Mike-

      There are ways transit subsidies can be directed at non-motorized modes.
      Check out this link:
      http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm8.htm

      And do a FIND for the word "hill"- it's part of the company name that
      expanded transit subsidies to be a "non-drive alone" subsidy. The results
      are pretty impressive- a 17% bike/walk mode split!

      Also, remember- every transit trip begins and ends with walking.
      Improvements to transit often extend the ability of citizens to walk, just
      as improving pedestrian conditions extends the usefulness of transit.
      Transit and walking have a strong, symbiotic relationship. If you take a
      look at my website, you'll see that one of the crucial selections is
      pedestrian environment. We did not have a single firm respond that rated
      their pedestrian environment as the lowest grade.

      Anyway- parking cash-out (what was done at CH2M Hill in the example above)
      can level the playing field between transit riders and non-motorized modes.
      You need good parking management though to ensure that the system is not
      abused.

      Cheers,
      Patrick McDonough

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        Good stuff Pat. But it's mainly employee focused. That's fine, but it's
        not enough traffic reduction.

        My proposal would be available to even people who don't have a job. In
        that sense, it would be good for the poor. Give them some extra money.
        Better than nothing.

        But mostly it would be aimed at commuters who come from outside the city.
        Those are the folks who are ruining the cities with all the extra
        driving and pollution, and who contribute the most greenhouse gases that
        are known now to be causing the warming. It is much more radical. It
        would pay $2,800 for an individual to not drive at all. The money would
        also come from raising fuel taxes by $.50 a gallon.

        When someone question the sanity of it, just ask them if they would
        preferred global warming to go out of control. Then ask them who's
        sensible and who isn't.

        Mike Neuman
        http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/nov99/hiway30112999a.asp
        http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/neuman_gw_letter.pdf
        http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/trans/neuman_vmt.html

        On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:08:08 -0400 "Patrick McDonough"
        <patrick1@...> writes:
        > Mike-
        >
        > There are ways transit subsidies can be directed at non-motorized
        > modes.
        > Check out this link:
        > http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm8.htm
        >
        > And do a FIND for the word "hill"- it's part of the company name
        > that
        > expanded transit subsidies to be a "non-drive alone" subsidy. T

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!