RE: [carfree_cities] urban mobility study

  • Patrick McDonough
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      TDM impacts are notoriously difficult to quantify. Much of TDM is
      behaviorally based and requires accurate reporting of people's individual
      behaviors. Tracking transit trips, which at least have ticket sales,
      monthly sales, and fareboxes, is somewhat easier. I recently completed my
      Master's Thesis on the effects and nature of employer-based transit pass
      programs. I built a website as a tool for employers to help demonstrate the
      quantitative and qualitative impacts. If any of you would like to promote
      transit subsidies to employers in your area, this may be a helpful tool.

      Check it out:
      http://www.path.berkeley.edu/itsdecision/tdmtool/

      Patrick McDonough

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        Offering free transit passes is seldom enough to get a substantial number
        of people to leave their cars behind and take the bus to make a
        difference on the road. I don't mean to comment negatively on it, but
        that seems to be the case at the UW-Madison here, where a bus pass is
        included as part of the student's tuition.

        Transit ticket giveaways are also unfair to those of us who choose
        alternative non-polluting modes of transportation, such as bicycling,
        walking, hitchhiking.

        [But your point is well taken -- thanks!]

        Mike

        "If you live within walking or bicycling distance of work, you can reduce
        the global warming impact of your commute to zero."
        Denis Hayes, http://www.rambles.net/hayes_earthday.html
        ___________

        On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:14:37 -0400 "Patrick McDonough"
        <patrick1@...> writes:
        > TDM impacts are notoriously difficult to quantify. Much of TDM is
        > behaviorally based and requires accurate reporting of people's
        > individual
        > behaviors. Tracking transit trips, which at least have ticket
        > sales,
        > monthly sales, and fareboxes, is somewhat easier. I recently
        > completed my
        > Master's Thesis on the effects and nature of employer-based transit
        > pass
        > programs. I built a website as a tool for employers to help
        > demonstrate the
        > quantitative and qualitative impacts. If any of you would like to
        > promote
        > transit subsidies to employers in your area, this may be a helpful
        > tool.
        >
        > Check it out:
        > http://www.path.berkeley.edu/itsdecision/tdmtool/
        >
        > Patrick McDonough

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Patrick McDonough
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          Mike-

          There are ways transit subsidies can be directed at non-motorized modes.
          Check out this link:
          http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm8.htm

          And do a FIND for the word "hill"- it's part of the company name that
          expanded transit subsidies to be a "non-drive alone" subsidy. The results
          are pretty impressive- a 17% bike/walk mode split!

          Also, remember- every transit trip begins and ends with walking.
          Improvements to transit often extend the ability of citizens to walk, just
          as improving pedestrian conditions extends the usefulness of transit.
          Transit and walking have a strong, symbiotic relationship. If you take a
          look at my website, you'll see that one of the crucial selections is
          pedestrian environment. We did not have a single firm respond that rated
          their pedestrian environment as the lowest grade.

          Anyway- parking cash-out (what was done at CH2M Hill in the example above)
          can level the playing field between transit riders and non-motorized modes.
          You need good parking management though to ensure that the system is not
          abused.

          Cheers,
          Patrick McDonough

        • mtneuman@juno.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
            Good stuff Pat. But it's mainly employee focused. That's fine, but it's
            not enough traffic reduction.

            My proposal would be available to even people who don't have a job. In
            that sense, it would be good for the poor. Give them some extra money.
            Better than nothing.

            But mostly it would be aimed at commuters who come from outside the city.
            Those are the folks who are ruining the cities with all the extra
            driving and pollution, and who contribute the most greenhouse gases that
            are known now to be causing the warming. It is much more radical. It
            would pay $2,800 for an individual to not drive at all. The money would
            also come from raising fuel taxes by $.50 a gallon.

            When someone question the sanity of it, just ask them if they would
            preferred global warming to go out of control. Then ask them who's
            sensible and who isn't.

            Mike Neuman
            http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/nov99/hiway30112999a.asp
            http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/neuman_gw_letter.pdf