Re: [carfree_cities] urban mobility study

  • mtneuman@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      They should have measured the effect of Transportation Demand Management
      congestion remedies like mine. Pay people not to drive so much. That
      would encourage them to use the other less polluting transportation
      options, and eventually move closer to where they like to spend the
      majority of their time.

      If they did that, they wouldn't have to spend the $350 billion on highway
      capacity expansion. And think of the reduction in motor fuel burning,
      especially from all those car sitting idle in traffic!

      Mike Neuman
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClimateArchive/message/229
      http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/nov99/hiway30112999a.asp

      On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:20:22 -0500 Patrick Kennedy <pkennedy@...>
      writes:
      > The annual Urban Mobility Report, published by the Texas
      > Transportation
      > Institute, this year measures the effect of five congestion remedies
      > in the
      > cities where they are being used. Specifically, the study
      > illustrates the
      > effect of public transportation service and bus and carpool lanes,
      > and three
      > types of roadway operating efficiencies - traffic signal
      > coordination,
      > freeway incident management (clearing crashes and disabled vehicles)
      > and the
      > use of freeway entrance ramp meters (signals that regulate traffic
      > flow onto
      > the freeway). Estimates of the effect from those improvements are
      > reflected
      > in this year's study, which uses 2001 data, the most recent
      > available.
      >
      > Learn more about the 2003 Urban Mobility Study
      > <http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/>.

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Patrick McDonough
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        TDM impacts are notoriously difficult to quantify. Much of TDM is
        behaviorally based and requires accurate reporting of people's individual
        behaviors. Tracking transit trips, which at least have ticket sales,
        monthly sales, and fareboxes, is somewhat easier. I recently completed my
        Master's Thesis on the effects and nature of employer-based transit pass
        programs. I built a website as a tool for employers to help demonstrate the
        quantitative and qualitative impacts. If any of you would like to promote
        transit subsidies to employers in your area, this may be a helpful tool.

        Check it out:
        http://www.path.berkeley.edu/itsdecision/tdmtool/

        Patrick McDonough

      • mtneuman@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          Offering free transit passes is seldom enough to get a substantial number
          of people to leave their cars behind and take the bus to make a
          difference on the road. I don't mean to comment negatively on it, but
          that seems to be the case at the UW-Madison here, where a bus pass is
          included as part of the student's tuition.

          Transit ticket giveaways are also unfair to those of us who choose
          alternative non-polluting modes of transportation, such as bicycling,
          walking, hitchhiking.

          [But your point is well taken -- thanks!]

          Mike

          "If you live within walking or bicycling distance of work, you can reduce
          the global warming impact of your commute to zero."
          Denis Hayes, http://www.rambles.net/hayes_earthday.html
          ___________

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
            Mike-

            There are ways transit subsidies can be directed at non-motorized modes.
            Check out this link:
            http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm8.htm

            And do a FIND for the word "hill"- it's part of the company name that
            expanded transit subsidies to be a "non-drive alone" subsidy. The results
            are pretty impressive- a 17% bike/walk mode split!

            Also, remember- every transit trip begins and ends with walking.
            Improvements to transit often extend the ability of citizens to walk, just
            as improving pedestrian conditions extends the usefulness of transit.
            Transit and walking have a strong, symbiotic relationship. If you take a
            look at my website, you'll see that one of the crucial selections is
            pedestrian environment. We did not have a single firm respond that rated
            their pedestrian environment as the lowest grade.

            Anyway- parking cash-out (what was done at CH2M Hill in the example above)
            can level the playing field between transit riders and non-motorized modes.
            You need good parking management though to ensure that the system is not
            abused.

            Cheers,
            Patrick McDonough

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
              Good stuff Pat. But it's mainly employee focused. That's fine, but it's
              not enough traffic reduction.

              My proposal would be available to even people who don't have a job. In
              that sense, it would be good for the poor. Give them some extra money.
              Better than nothing.

              But mostly it would be aimed at commuters who come from outside the city.
              Those are the folks who are ruining the cities with all the extra
              driving and pollution, and who contribute the most greenhouse gases that
              are known now to be causing the warming. It is much more radical. It
              would pay $2,800 for an individual to not drive at all. The money would
              also come from raising fuel taxes by $.50 a gallon.

              When someone question the sanity of it, just ask them if they would
              preferred global warming to go out of control. Then ask them who's
              sensible and who isn't.

              Mike Neuman
              http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/nov99/hiway30112999a.asp
              http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/neuman_gw_letter.pdf