RE: [carfree_cities] Transport Infrastructure (was Shock Tactics)

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 1, 2000
      Martha Torell wrote:

      >I hope there are many styles of car free city. Old European cities that
      >have been beautiful and car free for much of their history could be in
      >large part restored to that state.

      >> Downtown Montreal has a really good indoor walking network, and I find it
      >> great!

      >Yes! Someone has mentioned this on another elist in which I
      >participate; the thrust was that we are spreading horizontally when we
      >could be spreading vertically, down as well as up. Long before I found
      >car free sites, this seemed like a very good idea, in general terms.
      >Cars are made pretty much for the horizontal.

      >> You find many boutiques, many restaurants, some movie theaters, some
      banks
      >> and ATM, and a great number of hotel or tall office buildings accessible
      >> from basement.

      >When people say underground, the first reaction is mole people, dripping
      >caverns and dark, but in many offices and malls, if the entire complex
      >were underground, ventilation and lighting adequate, you would never
      >know. Going vertical as opposed to sprawling, suddenly you have more
      >room, and the dimensions can be generous.

      Montreal's underground is a network of tunnels that connects building to
      building and with the Metro(subway). During the winter it comes in really
      handy. Dawson
      http://www.tourism-montreal.org/undergro.htm
      http://www.montrealonline.com/events/pages/000304/3696482.html
      http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/peter/liaison/UndCity.html
      http://www.montreal-intl.com/Angl/index.asp?frameid=1186_3.asp
    • EXPORTATION QUEBEC
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 6, 2000
        > > There's certainly a way to carry even more, maybe if one
        > builds tandem
        > > units. Say 2 pedalers could carry 2000 pounds behind. Also
        > a larger gear
        > > set could help as it would need less pedaling strokes to pull more.
        > > Your idea is great! Instead of formula 1 car races (where the winner
        > > may lose because his car is defective), we could settle a Grand Prix
        > > cycling, that also includes a load carrying competition.
        > >

        > Gee, it would be super to see the trike or heavy haul biking event on
        > sports television for its own interest and because it would
        > be a way of
        > easing it into peoples' heads that they do not need a van or
        > even a car
        > to haul significant loads. Heavy haul biking -- sounds pretty brawny
        > doesn't it?
        >
        > Martha

        You got the point, again. BTW, what's the definition of sport? A sport is
        an activity or a competition where the natural human body does the work,
        isn't that the definition?

        I'm getting upset here when in the sports news report on TV they talk about
        Formula I before talking about hockey (or baseball in the US) which is
        our national sport. I don't consider F1 as a sport since the body of
        the athletes doesn't perform the whole exercise. They should read the news
        in the order as follows:
        - The national sport of your country (hockey, baseball or soccer...)
        - The other natural sports in any arbitrary order (including cycling,
        running, gym, swimming, canoe, etc...)
        - And finally (if there's time left), the F1 or any other artificial sport.

        Louis-Luc