RE: Re: [carfree_cities] Transport Infrastructure (was Shock Tactics)

  • EXPORTATION QUEBEC
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 1, 2000

      As far as I know, Habitat '67 building is still a condo building. I've
      not visited this place (I'm too young), but I've heard it's a nice place
      to live and it's expensive. The thing to know is how does one access
      restaurants, shops, banks, work etc... from there. The bus or other transit
      certainly goes there, but it's always better if you can find all the basics
      by walking or cycling, so you don't rely exclusively on the bus.

      The architecture desing the person described above seems a good idea, there
      could be a large shoppin/utility indoor network on the ground floor that
      would cover the total area of the block, and
      on top of it you find apartments all around an interior terrasse (like what
      is called "Jardins intérieurs" in France). Since the garage needs to contain
      only bikes/carts/strollers, there should be more extra space on the ground
      floor for some more utilities. And what about metro freight (or passenger)
      that arrives underneath the whole setup?

      In Longueuil (South Shore of Montreal), there is a good setup. A network of
      several towers (about 15-20 stories) containing mostly apartments or condos
      and some offices, and on the ground floor or basements there are some
      shops and utilities, even an indoor gym and swimming pool. All the buildings
      are accessible by indoor overpasses, and the Longueuil metro station along
      with a large bus terminal arrive in the center, everything is accessible
      from the inside.

      There is one disadventage of this dream setup: when you open the window,
      you hear heavy car noise because the complex is surrounded by highways and
      the bus/metro terminal attracts a good number of cars. It's a paradise for
      a person wanting to live indoors only, but for someone who wants to poke
      outside, listen to birdies, walk through bushes, it's paradise when he's
      inside with closed windows. There you feel your outside living is somewhat
      spoiled by those metal/glass /$%"%$$&?* boxes.

      Louis-Luc
    • EXPORTATION QUEBEC
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 6, 2000
        > > There's certainly a way to carry even more, maybe if one
        > builds tandem
        > > units. Say 2 pedalers could carry 2000 pounds behind. Also
        > a larger gear
        > > set could help as it would need less pedaling strokes to pull more.
        > > Your idea is great! Instead of formula 1 car races (where the winner
        > > may lose because his car is defective), we could settle a Grand Prix
        > > cycling, that also includes a load carrying competition.
        > >

        > Gee, it would be super to see the trike or heavy haul biking event on
        > sports television for its own interest and because it would
        > be a way of
        > easing it into peoples' heads that they do not need a van or
        > even a car
        > to haul significant loads. Heavy haul biking -- sounds pretty brawny
        > doesn't it?
        >
        > Martha

        You got the point, again. BTW, what's the definition of sport? A sport is
        an activity or a competition where the natural human body does the work,
        isn't that the definition?

        I'm getting upset here when in the sports news report on TV they talk about
        Formula I before talking about hockey (or baseball in the US) which is
        our national sport. I don't consider F1 as a sport since the body of
        the athletes doesn't perform the whole exercise. They should read the news
        in the order as follows:
        - The national sport of your country (hockey, baseball or soccer...)
        - The other natural sports in any arbitrary order (including cycling,
        running, gym, swimming, canoe, etc...)
        - And finally (if there's time left), the F1 or any other artificial sport.

        Louis-Luc