Re: [carfree_cities] Transport Infrastructure (was Shock Tactics)

    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 1, 2000
      Martha said:

      >Large buildings hold these attractions for me.
      >1) Since the Japanese have little choice but to recover methane
      >hydrates, thus tapping into thousands of times the known fossil fuel
      >reserves, I expect natural gas to be THE fuel for at least a few
      >decades. I am sure they will succeed.

      I've been hearing abou these methan hydrates as if it
      were a fact that they existed. Does anyone have really
      solid data about this stuff? Ron--any links for us?

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
    • EXPORTATION QUEBEC
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 6, 2000
        > > There's certainly a way to carry even more, maybe if one
        > builds tandem
        > > units. Say 2 pedalers could carry 2000 pounds behind. Also
        > a larger gear
        > > set could help as it would need less pedaling strokes to pull more.
        > > Your idea is great! Instead of formula 1 car races (where the winner
        > > may lose because his car is defective), we could settle a Grand Prix
        > > cycling, that also includes a load carrying competition.
        > >

        > Gee, it would be super to see the trike or heavy haul biking event on
        > sports television for its own interest and because it would
        > be a way of
        > easing it into peoples' heads that they do not need a van or
        > even a car
        > to haul significant loads. Heavy haul biking -- sounds pretty brawny
        > doesn't it?
        >
        > Martha

        You got the point, again. BTW, what's the definition of sport? A sport is
        an activity or a competition where the natural human body does the work,
        isn't that the definition?

        I'm getting upset here when in the sports news report on TV they talk about
        Formula I before talking about hockey (or baseball in the US) which is
        our national sport. I don't consider F1 as a sport since the body of
        the athletes doesn't perform the whole exercise. They should read the news
        in the order as follows:
        - The national sport of your country (hockey, baseball or soccer...)
        - The other natural sports in any arbitrary order (including cycling,
        running, gym, swimming, canoe, etc...)
        - And finally (if there's time left), the F1 or any other artificial sport.

        Louis-Luc