Re: [carfree_cities] Park-and-Ride

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
      Martha said:

      >Right you are. This Memorial Day my 86 year old father-in-law described
      >the streetcars he used when he was a kid. They were seldom more than a
      >hundred yards from any house in the Pontiac suburb.

      I doubt the accuracy of this. I suspect that an examination of
      maps from the time would show that many places were as much
      as 400 or 500 yards from the nearest trolley line, but this
      is still only a 5-7 minute walk, which is very reasonable.

      >However, I am
      >thinking now of suburbs that were wildlands when the streetcars ran.
      >There are two generations that have not used streetcars and a lot of
      >boomers have never ridden passenger rail. Charm them, seduce them, make
      >it economical or convenient, but bring them back to rail.

      Apparently it works--trolley are becoming a major tourist
      attraction in San Francisco, almost on a par with the
      cable cars.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com