Re: [carfree_cities] Carscarscars scars scars scars - understanding the "other point of view".

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2000

      > The "Age of the Car" as an item of increased individual liberty is
      > over. Cars (because they are still viewed erroneously as an icon of
      > personal liberty) will continue to spread and proliferate over the
      > next 10-15 years, especially and for much longer in third world
      > countries, but the cities of the future that survive and thrive will
      > do so because they have tamed the car and indeed rendered their
      > central areas car free and replaced them with other ways of moving
      > goods and people. The cars that are used will have increasingly
      > morphed into electronically monitored units in satellite controlled
      > road traffic systems and drivers will submit route plans prior to
      > journeys as planes do now

      Technology will be the stake in the heart of cars' image as icons of
      personal freedoml.

      Commercial aircraft have had black boxes for years. Now cars are
      getting them. It is quite within a technician's grasp now, to
      stealth-equip an auto, so that the driver/owner does not know, to record
      running GPS, speeds and and stops and their times, as well as to record
      all that is said in the car. To turn on the ignition would be to start
      leaving a record, where you are going, the coordinates at which you
      stopped, which can be mapped to addresses, how many people were in the
      car, approximately how much they weighed.

      I doubt that the possibilities have escaped the dullest lawman.

      Or parent. Just as some trucks bear a sign on their back doors, How do
      you like my driving? followed by an 800 phone number, there is now a
      service for the worried parents of teenage drivers, a numbered bumper
      sticker has a phone number and an invitation to report driving errors.

      I hope some action thriller will soon make use of the car as all purpose
      snitch.

      Martha