RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Talking Points: The huge subsudy for driving

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2003
      Furthermore, cyclists do not damage the road when
      using it (as do cars, and even more SUVs). And motor
      vehicles are more a threat to life quality notonly
      on the roads, but around them, with their nuisance
      to the environment and public safety. Before the
      invasion of cars, people had much more space available
      as public, and were not stressed by traffic when
      walking.

      My uncle also made me that surprizing remark that
      cyclists do not deserve a full road access. I told
      him that he was wrong totally. That's surprising,
      because my uncle walks and cycles a lot (but also
      drives) and is for full pedestrian rights on sidewalks
      (as I am), but wants to confine cycling to bicycle
      paths...
      The fear I have about bicycle paths is that drivers
      may wrongly think cyclists don't have the full access
      to the road as well. Bicycles are vehicles, and I'm
      in favor of giving them full road space, but not
      sidewalks. Sidewalks are for walking not vehicles.
      We have so little space for walking, so until we get
      more, we have to keep what we have.

      Louis-Luc

    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2003

      • mtneuman@juno.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2003
          These things are true, too. Sidewalks are generally unsafe for
          bicyclists to be riding on, since cars backing out of their drive-ways
          seldom see them coming. Streets are better, as long as speeds of motor
          vehicles driving them are not too great and room for both exists.

          One thing your uncle and Jerome's friend misses is that people who don't
          drive still pay fuel taxes to some extent. They pay them in the form of
          "add ons" to the price of food and things that they buy that are
          delivered by truck. The trucks have to pay the fuel taxes, so their
          charges for hauling the goods has to cover those costs (or they'll go
          belly under). In the end, the consumer pays for the cost of delivery,
          which includes the tax on the fuel used to ship the goods.

          Mike

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Andie Miller
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
            There's an interesting paper by Phillip Goff with a section on 'The
            subsidizing of the American motorist,' at
            http://www.monoculartimes.co.uk/texts/architexts/carculture_1.shtml

            The stats may be a little dated (published September 1997), but an
            interesting overview. This always makes an impression on me:

            "Ample cheap and free parking is a significant way in which motorists are
            subsidized. Real estate values in urban areas are costly, yet motorist are
            allowed to use up to 100 square feet of public space for the storage of
            their vehicles. What reserves the side of the street to be used for the sole
            purpose of parking cars? Could one use the space for storage instead? To put
            a trampoline, maybe? Could one open up a futon in a parking space and sleep
            overnight? What privileges car owners to eat up such valuable urban space,
            when others pay hundreds of dollars for apartments hardly bigger than a
            parking space?"
          • dubluth
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 7, 2003
              Another reason not to move to the side for motorists benefit is that
              cagers shouldn't be deprived an education in the legal and proper use
              of the road. I've read somewhere that in cities with significant
              bicycle traffic, motorists demonstrate better road sharing skills than
              their counterparts in bicycle bereft cities.

              If, as a result of familiarity, automobiles become better operated
              with regard to bicycle traffic, more bicycles may take to the road.
              The person whose sympathies lie with the motorist may think that more
              bicycles would be awful. However, more bicycles instead of more cars
              competing for parking spaces and road space might be a better deal for
              the motorist. If some of those people in their single occupancy
              automobiles had taken a bike, some gas tax hikes to pay for costly
              road expansions would have been avoided.

              The "free" parking (street and retail) provided to motorists comes at
              tremendous costs. Part of that is paid by people who don't own,
              operate, or benefit from automobiles.

              I feel there is a strong safety argument against giving automobiles
              priority. It feels unsafe to me when a car or truck passes within
              inches at speeds approaching or in excess of 40mph. When this happens
              I invariably move away from the curb to the center of the lane to
              unequivicably claim the full lane since I am reminded that a few
              people don't yet know that bicycles ARE a part of traffic.

              Bill Carr
            • Alex Farran
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2003
                dubluth writes:

                > I feel there is a strong safety argument against giving automobiles
                > priority. It feels unsafe to me when a car or truck passes within
                > inches at speeds approaching or in excess of 40mph. When this
                > happens I invariably move away from the curb to the center of the
                > lane to unequivicably claim the full lane since I am reminded that a
                > few people don't yet know that bicycles ARE a part of traffic.

                Another benefit of not hugging the kerb is that you are more visible
                in heavy traffic. The cars may not see you, but they will see other
                cars pulling out for something.

                --

                __o Alex Farran
                _`\<,_ Analyst / Programmer
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2003
                  In a city used for multiple modes of travel, and that would include a
                  carfree city which gives priority to pedestrians, people would learn
                  to see one another and their vehicles.

                  "I didn't see him" seems to be the inevitable response when a motorist
                  is called on for intruding into a bicyclist's space. Strangly, the
                  driver seems to think this puts any blame on the bicyclist, who is
                  implied to be invisible. All licensing jurisdictions require
                  motorists to pass a vision test -- a fact that reinforces the idea
                  that people have an obligation to use their good eyes when operating a
                  car or truck.

                  I'm warry of lending support to the claim that bicycles driven in
                  daylight or at night with proper lights are ever invisible. Curb
                  huggers aren't making themselves as obvious as they may need to be.
                  However, automobile drivers shouldn't be given a pass for missing what
                  is in plain view.

                  --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Alex Farran <alex@a...> wrote:
                  > Another benefit of not hugging the kerb is that you are more visible
                  > in heavy traffic. The cars may not see you, but they will see other
                  > cars pulling out for something.
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > __o Alex Farran
                  > _`\<,_ Analyst / Programmer
                  > (_)/ (_) www.alexfarran.com
                • turpin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2003
                    "dubluth" <dubluth@y...> wrote:
                    > All licensing jurisdictions require
                    > motorists to pass a vision test --
                    > a fact that reinforces the idea
                    > that people have an obligation to
                    > use their good eyes when operating
                    > a car or truck.

                    Amen!

                    Paying attention is the first
                    obligation of anyone operating a car
                    or truck.

                    > I'm warry of lending support to
                    > the claim that bicycles driven in
                    > daylight or at night with proper
                    > lights are ever invisible. ..

                    That, however, brings up the
                    unfortunate fact that many bicyclists
                    at night are NOT properly lighted.
                    A bicyclist without good reflectors
                    or light, and often wearing dark
                    clothes, can seem to appear out of
                    nowhere. I've never had a close call,
                    between me driving and someone else
                    bicycling, because I do keep my eyes
                    on the road when driving, and give
                    bicyclists their safe distance. But
                    I have noticed many bicyclists at
                    night, with no reflector or light,
                    who would have been very easy not to
                    notice until too late.

                    When I bicycled at night, I always
                    wore yellow reflective leg bands,
                    and turned on two lights, a white
                    headlight and a red strobe light in
                    rear. I may have looked a bit like a
                    brightly lighted clown. But I wanted
                    to be seen. And in the unfortunate
                    happenstance that some idiot ran me
                    down anyway, I wanted my heirs'
                    lawyer to be able to put up a
                    picture of me brightly lit up, as he
                    asked the idiot who ran me down,
                    "THIS is what you failed to see?!?"
                    ;-)

                    Seriously, if you bike at night,
                    take some effort to make yourself
                    visible. And even in bright day,
                    watch out for the idiots who are
                    driving a car without paying
                    attention.
                  • lockhughes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23, 2003
                      > The fear I have about bicycle paths is that drivers
                      > may wrongly think cyclists don't have the full access
                      > to the road as well. Bicycles are vehicles, and I'm
                      > in favor of giving them full road space, but not
                      > sidewalks. Sidewalks are for walking not vehicles.
                      > We have so little space for walking, so until we get
                      > more, we have to keep what we have.

                      I have driven a scooter over a couple of hundred km's of *empty*
                      suburban sidewalks since March. By "empty" I mean pedestrian counts
                      of maybe a dozen an hour. Less than 1% of these folk have objected to
                      me or given any signs of displeasure as I go by. The vast majority
                      of comments (about my vehicle) are always very positive.

                      So, are *any* wheeled modes appropriate on sidewalks?
                      eg
                      rollerblades?
                      rollerskis?
                      rollerskates?
                      skateboards?
                      scooters?
                      bicycles?
                      tricycles?
                      mobility scooters?
                      motorized luggage carts?

                      Just curious how much diversity of opinion there is out there, in
                      car-free land. Just what is a "car"? Is a Twike a "car"?
                      (link to twike:)
                      <http://twike.cjb.net/>

                      Is the Panasonic folder a bicycle?
                      (link to folder:)
                      http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/main/panasonic.htm

                      How will we know when our city is "car free"?

                      Lock
                    • autofrei-wohnen.de
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2003
                        Hi Lock,
                        you asked:

                        | So, are *any* wheeled modes appropriate on sidewalks?
                        | eg
                        | rollerblades?
                        | rollerskis?
                        | rollerskates?
                        | skateboards?
                        | scooters?
                        | bicycles?
                        | tricycles?
                        | mobility scooters?
                        | motorized luggage carts?

                        For me these vehicles have to be on the streets or better if possible: on bike-lanes on the streets. Have you ever realised the shock of old people, when you passed by from behind with higher speed than they walk ?! If we want to encourage people for walking, the sidewalks should be a "taboo" for all who are faster than pedestrians. Of course, there are special rules for little children, but they have to be teached to pass very slow !

                        In Germany and other countries exist different possibilties of street-use like
                        - "bicycle-street" ("Fahrradstrasse"), means: ciyclist are privileged, and only cars of street`s inhabitants are allowed
                        - "play-street" ("Spielstrasse"), means: playing children are privileged, and cars have to drive VERY slow (speed of pedestrians)
                        - "youth-street" ("Jugendstrasse"), means: the street is closed for cars and filled up with installations to play and do sport activities, see Berlin`s new example www.jugendstrasse-berlin.de (german only)
                        - "traffic-reduced commercial-area" ("verkehrsberuhigter Geschaeftsbereich"), means: speed of e.g. 10 km/h with other rules in the special case
                        - "flaneur-zone" ("Flanierzone", developped in Burgdorf, CH), or new official term: "meeting-zone" ("Begegnungszone") (new case in Switzerland`s Building Law Code, in case of interest I can fax the related law paper, I have only the german version), means pedestrians are privileged and can use the whole street space; maximum speed 20 km/h
                        - "30 km/h-zone" ("Tempo 30 Zone"), means maximum speed of 30 km/h
                        up to
                        - "pedestrian zone" ("Fussgaengerzone"), means: I hope you all know this very well.

                        ... so for every situation there is an instrumentarium for the best solution. Our goal should be the implementation of more of these solutions in the public consciousness and urban reality.

                        I don`t like the (direction of this) subtle discussion about permissions for the use of sidewalks.
                        In general, I wish there would be more discussion in this newsgroup about new carfree areas or carfree action (like these days) in our environment, more reports and exchange of experiences.
                        **********************
                        | Just curious how much diversity of opinion there is out there, in
                        | car-free land. Just what is a "car"? Is a Twike a "car"?
                        | (link to twike:)
                        | <http://twike.cjb.net/>

                        I know one of the owners of a Twike in Berlin: He classifies it as a Car.

                        Any vehicle is a car, if it has the usual size of cars, is faster than pedestrians and needs non-human energy. The problem with them is not only its pollution and noise, but also the big consumption of space (that can be used much better and makes housing more expensive than it could be) and the danger of its speed for people on the streets (last point see together with the problem of hard metal against human flesh).
                        Isn`t this clear enough ?
                        **********************
                        | How will we know when our city is "car free"?

                        If you see there no cars during most of the day- and nighttime. Usually in our pedestrian areas are special & short time-zones for commercial & private delivery and inhabitants (only if they have a garage in the zone). A good example is the innercity of Freiburg in Germany. Read this english article about:
                        "Freiburg's green transport policies are central to the city's development, reports Rolf Böhme"
                        http://www.ourplanet.com/imgversn/121/bohme.html

                        The definition of "carfree" says: if you have only 0.1-0.2 parking places per dwelling and no traffic in the related area, except some serious exceptions ("blue-light"-traffic, delivery, handicapts).
                        If you have more you can call it "low car housing" and "traffic-reduced", and there are more other terms for it.
                        See more about carfree definitions:
                        http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/Definition.html (sorry, still german only)

                        More links about worldwide carfree vacation destinations and carfree initatives & projects:
                        http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/projects.html (Introduction page of the related chapter in English)

                        best,
                        Markus Heller, Berlin
                        http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html (Introduction page in English)

                      • mtneuman@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 23, 2003
                          We have a state law in Wisconsin that requires that if a bicyclist rides
                          by (passes) a pedestrian on a bicycle path or a sidewalk (if local govt.
                          allows riding on the sidewalks), that the bicyclist must first make an
                          "audible" when he/she approaches to pass, so that the pedestrian or
                          bicyclist is aware that a bicyclist is going to pass by. The audible is
                          usually: "bicycle passing on your left".

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 23, 2003
                            I agree--no wheeled vehicles on sidewalk except for wheelchairs and the
                            scooter-chairs that disabled people use. (Speaking of adult users only
                            here, of course.)

                            I realize most peoples' experiences in sidewalk mixing come from
                            suburban-plan areas where no one walks. In the carfree city--and that
                            is what we must build toward--every who can walks walks at least
                            sometimes.

                            In other words, images riding your bicycle/scooter/skateboard/whatever
                            down Fifth Avenue in Manhattan...wheels belong on the street. (And cars
                            belong on roads, outside of town.)

                            Richard

                            autofrei-wohnen.de wrote:

                            > Hi Lock,
                            > you asked:
                            >
                            > | So, are *any* wheeled modes appropriate on sidewalks?
                            > | eg
                            > | rollerblades?
                            > | rollerskis?
                            > | rollerskates?
                            > | skateboards?
                            > | scooters?
                            > | bicycles?
                            > | tricycles?
                            > | mobility scooters?
                            > | motorized luggage carts?
                            >
                            > For me these vehicles have to be on the streets or better if possible: on bike-lanes on the streets. Have you ever realised the shock of old people, when you passed by from behind with higher speed than they walk ?! If we want to encourage people for walking, the sidewalks should be a "taboo" for all who are faster than pedestrians. Of course, there are special rules for little children, but they have to be teached to pass very slow !

                            http://www.living-room.org
                            http://www.newcolonist.com

                            "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
                            an obligation; every possession, a duty."
                            John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
                          • Mark Jaroski
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 24, 2003
                              Richard Risemberg wrote:
                              > I realize most peoples' experiences in sidewalk mixing come from
                              > suburban-plan areas where no one walks. In the carfree city--and that
                              > is what we must build toward--every who can walks walks at least
                              > sometimes.

                              Actually, in a real carfree city there is no need for
                              sidwalks. For instance in the carfree sections which most
                              European cities have there are no curbs, and no sidwalks.

                              The exception is the carfree area around Forum Les-Halles in
                              paris, but that was only recently converted to carfree.

                              -- mark at geekhive dot net --