RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Traveling Rail Retail

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2000
      >From: "Ronald Dawson" <rdadddmd@...>
      >In regards to those tram tracks would some thing like "Lawn Track" be O.K.?
      >http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/engineering/weiss/weiss3.html
      > Dawson

      Very nice, I sure like the idea of grass rather then oil soaked ties. How is
      the price?
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2000
        A hi-railer is a Jeep Wagoneer sort of vehicle that
        has small, flanged steel wheels mounted to the frame
        with hydraulic actuators that press them down below
        the level of the normal rubber tires when commanded
        by the operator. This makes it possible to run the
        vehicle on rails, with the driving force applied
        by the usual rubber tires, running on the rail heads.

        I believe that fairly stringent speed limits are in
        force when running a hi-railer on track, and of course
        youhave to make sure that you have proper train orders
        to avoid any conflict with other traffic. In their
        current incarnation, they probably aren't very useful
        for much beyond their current purpose, which is as
        a maintenance access vehicle for railroads.

        The freight trams might work in a somewhat similar
        way, but would have to be more sophisticated and
        robust. Also, the weight of a full shipping container
        can reach 80,000 pounds, so the vehicle would have
        to be very heavy duty in comparison to a hi-railer.

        ###

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2000
          Henning Mortensen wrote:
          >>From: "Ronald Dawson" <rdadddmd@...>
          >>In regards to those tram tracks would some thing like "Lawn Track" be
          O.K.?
          >>http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/engineering/weiss/weiss3.htm
          >> Dawson
          >Very nice, I sure like the idea of grass rather then oil soaked ties. How
          is
          >the price?

          I think the best thing to do would be to contact the manufacturer in regards
          to a prices, also ties treated with creosote so they last longer. Dawson
          http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/engineering/weiss/index.html#w
          eiss3