U.S. Administration Seeking U.S. Exemption from Montreal Protocol

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3 12:25 PM
      Another environmental insult from "the powers that be".

      US Wants to Continue Using Ozone Depleting Substance

      In another brazen display of contempt for international treaties, the
      US administration is seeking exemption for certain uses of methyl
      bromide an ozone depleting substance (ODS) to be phased out by
      industrialised countries under the 1987 Montreal Protocol. The US is
      the largest consumer of methyl bromide, widely used as a fumigant.

      It wants to be allowed to continue using the ODS in food processing,
      commodity storage, transplant trays used in certain greenhouse
      production systems, and for cultivation of forest seedlings, orchard
      seedlings, turf and sod, and some vegetables.

      "This attack on the ozone layer will put more people at risk of
      cancer. It would also punish responsible growers who have... adopted
      safer alternatives," lamented David Doniger, policy director, Climate
      Center of the Natural Resources Defense Council, a non-profit
      organisation of scientists. The administration has asked for
      exemptions totalling 39 percent of the production level in 1991
      (baseline year). The outer limit set by the protocol is 30 per cent.
      The US plea will be considered in a meeting in November 2003.

      Source: Down to Earth, 31 August 2003
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3 1:31 PM
        Well, that's the US administration fo you Mike. By seeing how things
        are going I wonder if it cares for people's life? As for myself, I'm
        pretty well disgusted.

        It's going against all logic and the purpose of the US EPA.

        Steve
      • mtneuman@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3 7:09 PM
          President G.W. (the Global Warmer) Bush has even changed the name of the
          U.S. Environmental Protection Agency now.

          EPA now stands for "Environmental Pollution Allowed" [Inc.]

          I'm PDT (Pretty Disgusted, Too)
          Mike

          On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:31:36 -0000 "Steve" <esdol@...> writes:
          > Well, that's the US administration fo you Mike. By seeing how things
          > are going I wonder if it cares for people's life? As for myself, I'm
          >
          > pretty well disgusted.
          >
          > It's going against all logic and the purpose of the US EPA.
          >
          > Steve

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!