RE: [carfree_cities] Re-worked automobile city

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2000
      Louis-Luc wrote:

      >85 cents CDN today (10-cent rise overnight in Montreal). I felt good,
      >because it must get higher and higher to get people to abandon cars.
      >I tell people who complain it's too high that we're still far below some
      >European prices.

      Today gas was around $0.85 L, how long will it be like this I don't know.

      >> We just need to keep spreading the word.

      >Certainly. Maybe every country on Earth has probably heard of the death
      >of Maurice "Rocket" Richard this weekend. Someone locally suggested
      >to rename Sainte-Catherine street (where the Montreal Forum is) to
      >Maurice Richard street. I suggested here we should name the first line
      >of our future trams "La ligne Maurice Richard" while eliminating gas
      >cars, to set the streetlife at a comparable level as the good'old
      >days of the Forum when Maurice Richard was playing his hockey career
      >here.
      >It lets me think of good old hockey days where teams were playing for
      >fun, not for money...

      It should be known that the name of the first electric streetcar(1892) in
      Montreal was named the "Rocket"(before trams were pulled by horses) and in
      Toronto there's a transit users group called the "Rocket Riders".
      http://www.rocketriders.org/
      It's too bad Mr.Richard passed away.

      >Last week I met a real estate agent to visit a property. I arrived first
      >and sat on the balcony. The agent arrived after by car, and she asked me
      >where was my car. I stood still looking at her
      >like if I'm a boss and she's an employee (I use a posture from my boss :-),
      >and, I said: "Well, I'm proud I have none, I don't need a such crutch to
      >move." After I left her, I started to walk at high speed, to make her think
      >her cardio performances may be least because she uses a car.

      >Just a little anecdote.

      Thanks for sharing that story with us. Dawson
    • EXPORTATION QUEBEC
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000

        And after the ceremony is over, Canadiens get in uniform and roller skates
        to play the revenge game in Ste-Catherine street. Pedestrians and cyclists
        are asked to retire from the last dangerous scene while players shoot stones
        on autos in the net. After the game is over, we clear the street and we tell
        every pedestrian and cyclist they may now use this street at their
        convenience forever in memory for the "Rocket" who was a really
        simple-minded person.

        Louis-Luc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000
          Doug said:

          >In view of the magnitude of an entire New City project, it seems likely
          >that the first real world applications will be for carfree districts
          >adjacent to existing city cores, linked via existing trams, metro, whatever.
          >Blighted areas and abandoned industrial zones are plentiful (happily, often
          >on waterfronts), and we're talking about the ultimate turnaround for
          >brownfields.

          That's certainly how I see it.

          The Toronto site is fabulous. I'll have to post a sketch of it
          when I get back to Amsterdam. It's a roughly diamond-shaped area
          about 4 km east-west and 2 km north-south (measured, that is, from
          the extremities). It's right on the waterfront (it's mostly old
          wharf areas and so forth), with direct water access. It abuts downtown
          Toronto, and the connection by tram is easy to do. There is the
          one minor problem of a major elevated freeway that runs along the north
          edge of the area. There's already some talk of tearing at least
          part of it down, and I suppose we could live with it if need be.
          Otherwise a perfect site.

          >Given such a (relatively) modest goal, the initial project(s) might not be
          >so very far in the future. It is already possible, even here in the Wild
          >West, to find developers familiar and comfortable with various flavors of
          >New Urbanism, Transit Oriented Development, Pedestrian Pockets, etc.
          >Carfree districts won't be an impossible imaginative stretch for a few of
          >them. As for the bankers, regulators and all the zillions of others we'll
          >need to bring on board, well, challenges are character building.

          Hey, if the gas prices continue to skyrocket, we'll have
          an easy sell. People will be screaming, "what do we do, what do we do??"
          The answer is obvious.

          >And, of course, we will sound saner with each new record for oil and gas
          >prices.

          >We just need to keep spreading the word.

          More on this point soon--we've got work to do.

          ###

          J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
          postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
        • Martha Torell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2000
            > J.H. Crawford wrote:
            > > I proposed on TV in Toronto last week that they take an area
            > > right next to downtown ... and designate it as a carfree area...
            > > We need demo projects ASAP.

            Yes, without making a big fuss -- "look, car free!" -- car free
            districts can be designated, alternate transportation systems worked
            into place and suddenly it will not be an off the wall idea. It will be
            shown, several times, in different urban environments to work. It may
            be helpful to be able to work out the bugs without a spotlight on the
            project.

            Martha