Re: [carfree_cities] dud carfree day in Montreal

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28 10:55 PM
      Christopher Miller said:

      >Here's a columnist's commentary in today's Montreal Gazette about Montreal's
      >superficial efforts to join in worldwide Car-Free Day this Sept. 22:
      >
      >http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=0772CD3B-4A99-4297-BA05-99EFFE840FCF

      That's a surprisingly strongly-worded story, and a pretty good one.
      You might consider a letter-to-the-editor as a follow-on. One tactic
      to consider would be a proposal to expand the program next year, once
      people have had a chance to see how it works, even if only briefly.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

    • Mike Harrington
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29 7:23 AM
        I think the Montréal subway carries at least 600,000 people on a Sunday and
        about 1.2 million on a weekday. Only a lunatic would think of closing it on
        weekends. Seems like whether you vote for the Liberals or the Parti
        Québecois the highway lobby just keeps spending more money to kill public
        transit. Just like in the US, the politicians in Canada are mostly divorced
        from reality.

        Pearland, TX
        Tom DeLay's district