dud carfree day in Montreal

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2003
      Here's a columnist's commentary in today's Montreal Gazette about Montreal's
      superficial efforts to join in worldwide Car-Free Day this Sept. 22:

      http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=0772CD3B-4A99-
      4297-BA05-99EFFE840FCF

      =:=:=:=:= =:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
      Christopher Miller

      =:=:=:=:= =:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
    • Louis-Luc
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2003
        I read the article, that clearly shows we're stuck
        here with crappy governments at city and provincial
        levels. I was hoping the new provincial would do better
        than the old, but I'm sad it's the contrary.

        At the beginning of the summer, the Transit Authority even threatened to
        close our metro on week-ends. And
        for suburban trains, they opened a new train station
        at Vaudreuil. You think it's a good news? I'm not so
        sure, because the closest home from the station is
        20 minutes away! And for cyclists it's still a harsh 10
        minutes, and that's from the *closest* home. The
        train station is way in the field, where not even the best striker can make
        a homerun :-( But there's plenty
        of room for (you guessed it) those damn cars again :-(
        to park around the station.

        I hope the nature will take its revenge with a huge
        natural disaster that would tear down all those roads
        enough to make cars unusable, but not enough to prevent
        mountain biking and walking. I think that'd be a good
        experience to live for Quebec citizens, if homes are
        not damaged too much. We'd rediscover our walking
        legacy while governements will be stuck down the wall
        and be forced to think to rebuild infrastructure with
        people in mind,and not cars.

        Meanwhile I enjoy our rail and underground legacy each
        day, because I really find some surface streets are
        unpleasent, and maybe I'll pop out during the symbolic
        forced CarFree day on Sept. 22 if I need to go out
        between 10AM and 4PM. Usually I'm in from 9 to 5, so
        I'm sad commuters won't get a break from cars, not even
        on car-free day.

        The positive thought is that's better than nothing, and
        maybe next year it'll be easier to make a full blown
        carfree day.

        Louis-Luc

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2003
          Christopher Miller said:

          >Here's a columnist's commentary in today's Montreal Gazette about Montreal's
          >superficial efforts to join in worldwide Car-Free Day this Sept. 22:
          >
          >http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=0772CD3B-4A99-4297-BA05-99EFFE840FCF

          That's a surprisingly strongly-worded story, and a pretty good one.
          You might consider a letter-to-the-editor as a follow-on. One tactic
          to consider would be a proposal to expand the program next year, once
          people have had a chance to see how it works, even if only briefly.

          Regards,

          -- ### --

        • Mike Harrington
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
            I think the Montréal subway carries at least 600,000 people on a Sunday and
            about 1.2 million on a weekday. Only a lunatic would think of closing it on
            weekends. Seems like whether you vote for the Liberals or the Parti
            Québecois the highway lobby just keeps spending more money to kill public
            transit. Just like in the US, the politicians in Canada are mostly divorced
            from reality.

            Pearland, TX
            Tom DeLay's district

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/