Car Sharing - Does it Reduce Miles Driven?

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2003
      Does anyone know of any study results on the success of newly opened
      car sharing businesses in reducing miles driven in a community?

      A car sharing business is about to open its doors and says it will
      reduce both traffic on the streets and the number of cars parked on
      the roads. Do they?

      What about students who don't now own and use cars, but might start
      driving the shared cars if made available -- is that fairly common?
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2003
        Hi All,

        Mike Neuman asked:

        >Does anyone know of any study results on the success of newly opened
        >car sharing businesses in reducing miles driven in a community?

        Always begin research on this sort of topic at Victoria Transport
        Policy Institute (VTPI):

        http://www.vtpi.org/

        I don't know for sure that they have anything, but I would be
        surprised if they didn't.

        Regards,

        -- ### --