Re: [carfree_cities] NYTimes.com Article: Fuel Prices Move Higher, and Trend Is Expected to Persist

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2003
      Note that according to economists the solution to oil supply problems is
      always more investment, not finding more oil per se. Geologic constraints
      are simply overcome by throwing more dollars into exploration and
      development. Economists as a whole are ignorant of geology and assume that
      resources are infinite so they can make their charts come out right.

      Global hydrocarbon liquids consumption is now at 78 million barrels per day,
      of which a quarter goes to the US. Annual world oil consumption increases
      between one and a half to two and a quarter million barrels per day. Part
      of this is due to increasing OECD consumption, particularly in the US, and
      the other is due to usage growth in industrializing countries, notably
      China. In addition, for decades consumption has far outpaced discovery.
      The combination of well depletion and rising consumption means demand will
      intersect and then surpass supply sometime within the next decade. Economic
      forecasts of production of 120 million barrels per day by 2020 are doubtful

      Jon Thompson, President of ExxonMobil Exploration Company, describing the
      challenges that face the industry:

      "...we estimate that world oil and gas production from existing fields is
      declining at an average rate of about 4 to 6 percent a year. To meet
      projected demand in 2015, the industry will have to add about 100 million
      oil-equivalent barrels a day of new production. That's equal to about 80
      percent of today's production level [the difference between 78 mbd and 120
      mbd oil equivalent is gas production - Mike]. In other words, by 2015, we
      will need to find, develop and produce a volume of new oil and gas that is
      equal to eight out of every 10 barrels being produced today. In addition,
      the cost associated with providing this additional oil and gas is expected
      to be considerably more than what industry is now spending.

      Equally daunting is the fact that many of the most promising prospects are
      far from major markets -- some in regions that lack even basic
      infrastructure. Others are in extreme climates, such as the Arctic, that
      present extraordinary technical challenges. ..."

      In other words, exploration will have to find and develop eight new Saudi
      Arabias in the next twelve years. That is not going to happen.