(Fwd) CAR BUSTERS BULLETIN #49

  • Car Busters
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
      Dear Carfree_cities list recipients,
      Here is our latest monthly bulletin. Since its probably not
      appropriate to send it regularly to this list, individuals
      who want to receive it (one e-mail per month) can just send
      a message to carbusters_bulletin_eng-
      subscribe@....
      If anyone is in a position to respond to the fundraising
      plea below, we would be very grateful.
      Many thanks,
      - The Car Busters team

      _________________________

      CAR BUSTERS BULLETIN >>>
      ____________________________________

      Edition no. 49 - August 2003 - English version

      * DEAR BULLETIN READERS AND SUPPORTERS, *
      Car Busters (currently transforming into World Carfree
      Network) needs your help. To ensure that our office and
      projects run smoothly in the coming months, we are in great

      need of your financial support. Funding that we expected to

      come through has either not materialised or has been
      delayed. In the month of August, we need to raise an extra
      2,000 EUR/USD on top of our normal income.
      A little goes a long way in the Czech Republic. By
      contributing 160 EUR/USD, you would pay our office rent for

      one month. By giving 375 EUR/USD, you would pay for a full-
      time staff member's monthly wages. You can also join us at
      one of three membership levels: 30, 50 or 100 EUR/USD.
      Payment options can be found here:
      <http://www.carbusters.org/resources/info.php>. Credit card

      orders can be made here:
      <http://www.carbusters.org/consume_now/> (the 'donations'
      field is towards the bottom).
      Thank you very much for your support.
      - The Car Busters/World Carfree Network team

      Contents:

      BOXERS AND BRIEFS

      ACTION ALERT
      - HELP SAVE U.S. ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORT FUNDING

      WORLD NEWS
      - CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE BAKU-CEYHAN PIPELINE CONTINUES
      - BRITISH GOVERNMENT DROPS SUPPORT FOR ARUNDEL BYPASS
      - EU BEHIND ON KYOTO GOAL, TRANSPORT EMISSIONS TO BLAME
      - HORRIFIC TRAFFIC CRASHES IN USA RAISE IMPORTANCE OF
      CARFREE AREAS
      - BLACK STARS ON BOGOTA STREETS

      CAR BUSTERS ANNOUNCEMENTS
      - WORLD CARFREE DAY 2003
      - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
      - CAR BUSTERS PRESS: BARGAIN BASEMENT BOOKS

      DISCLAIMER

      __________________

      BOXERS AND BRIEFS >>
      __________________________

      - The Ford Excursion - the world's largest regular SUV at
      19 feet in length (5.8 meters), averaging 10 mpg (16 kpg),
      carrying nine people, unable to fit into conventional US
      garages, and requiring two parking spaces on city streets -

      is rumoured to be discontinued in 2004 as reported by the
      BBC.

      - In contrast to statements made by Bush administration
      officials, the United States Environmental Protection
      Agency found that a plan to reduce emissions linked to
      global warming could be carried out at little cost.

      _______________

      ACTION ALERT >>
      __________________

      HELP SAVE U.S. ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORT FUNDING
      [compiled from various sources]

      On July 24, the US House of Representatives' Committee on
      Appropriations unveiled its 2004 Transportation & Treasury
      Spending Bill. If it passes without modification through a
      number of stages in both houses of Congress, it would:
      - cut passenger rail (AMTRAK) to half its minimum operating

      budget (to $900 million from the $1.8 billion it needs to
      maintain its skeletal existing services);
      - eliminate the popular Transportation Enhancements
      programme; and
      - boost highway spending to $33.8 billion, an increase of
      $4.5 billion over the President’s request and $6.1 billion
      over the 2003 budget.
      The bill would direct AMTRAK to eliminate its national
      passenger rail system. A few profitable corridors in the
      Northeast and the West Coast would be maintained but
      possibly privatised. This would leave the United States as
      the only industrialised nation without national passenger
      rail service.
      One major problem is that Congress members see support
      for AMTRAK as a "subsidy" - rail is expected to somehow
      turn a profit - while the much larger expenditures on
      highways and air-industry bail-outs are couched in the more

      neutral or positive language of "expenditures" or "economic

      investment" and have no profit-making expectations. Another

      problem is that Congress members still think that more
      money spent on highways will help solve road congestion.
      This is no longer a credible argument. As various studies
      on traffic generation have shown, road building would in
      most cases have the opposite effect: The more road capacity

      is increased, the more traffic expands to fill the
      available space. To solve traffic congestion, we would do
      better to reduce road capacity than to expand it.
      Bare-bones highlights of the bill can be found here:
      <http://www.house.gov/appropriations/news/108_1/04ttfull2.ht
      m>. Analysis regarding the slashing of Transportation
      Enhancements can be found here:
      <http://www.americabikes.org/saveenhancements.asp>.
      Since 1991, the Transportation Enhancements program has
      built 8,000 bicycle and pedestrian projects in communities
      large and small across the US.
      "Transportation Enhancements account for less than two
      cents of every Federal surface transportation dollar," says

      Keith Laughlin, President of the Rails-to-Trails
      Conservancy. "For less than two cents per dollar we get a
      popular program that supports locally-initiated
      transportation projects in communities across America.
      Those who would eliminate this program believe that every
      single Federal penny should be spent on highways. I urge
      Congress to reject such short-sighted thinking."
      If you are a US citizen, please call or write your
      congressional representatives as soon as possible and urge
      them to cut highway spending, fund AMTRAK for at least $1.8

      billion and preserve and expand the Transportation
      Enhancements programme. (Congressional Switchboard number:
      (202) 224-3121; President Bush: (202) 456-1111.) But
      don't stop there; it's even more important to join
      organised political efforts to save and expand US
      alternative transport.

      _______________

      WORLD NEWS >>
      __________________

      CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE BAKU-CEYHAN PIPELINE CONTINUES
      [from London Rising Tide]

      In the early morning of July 10, Earth First! and other
      concerned individuals blockaded AMEC’s office in
      Warrington, UK for three hours, demanding that the company
      pull out of the Baku pipeline project. AMEC has a 200-
      million-pound contract to build the Georgian part of the
      pipeline.
      The activists mounted a large tripod and a chain of
      people locked themselves together across the entrance. The
      action prevented around 250 vehicles from entering the
      complex, causing deliveries to be cancelled and making
      company workers climb over locked-on people and a banner
      proclaiming "Stop Baku Pipeline" to get to work. After
      three hours and absolutely no action on the part of the
      three baffled and slightly bored police, the protest packed

      up and went to the pub, retrieving the materials, with no
      arrests.
      One week before, an AMEC construction site in Manchester

      mysteriously sprouted slogans all over the hoardings, such
      as "AMEC Murderers," "AMEC Out of Baku," "Stop the Baku
      pipeline," as well as the entrance being liquid-metalled
      shut.
      On Monday, July 14, Friends of the Earth and European
      Green MP Jean Lambert presented a section of pipeline to
      the Department For International Development covered with
      over 4,000 letters from members of the public protesting
      against the Baku Ceyhan pipeline. For background
      information on the Baku-Ceyhan-Tbilisi Pipeline go to
      www.baku.org.uk or www.risingtide.org.uk.

      BRITISH GOVERNMENT DROPS SUPPORT FOR ARUNDEL BYPASS
      [spotted by Richard Lane]

      A victory has been won by the campaign to halt the second
      Arundel Bypass, west of Brighton, UK. At the last minute,
      and against all expectations, the British Government
      dropped its support for the environmentally destructive
      scheme, as well as for the equally disastrous proposed
      Worthing Bypass across the South Downs behind Cissbury
      Ring. Arundel and South Downs MP Howard Flight was
      certainly caught by surprise, having sent out a statement
      to local press earlier in the week welcoming 'the
      government announcement to proceed with a bypass for
      Arundel.'
      Early July saw a flurry of media interest in the Arundel

      protest camp at Tortington Common, with reports everywhere
      from BBC TV and Meridian to the Evening Argus, The Times
      and The Guardian. A hint as to the reasons why the
      government backed down in West Sussex, while ploughing
      ahead with road plans elsewhere in the country, came in a
      report on the Evening Standard website. Written before the
      announcement, and seemingly expecting the Arundel road to
      be given the green light, it added: "The government will be

      desperate to avoid clashes with committed activists such as

      'Swampy' - so-called 'king of the eco-warriors.' It is
      still nervous of provoking the kind of confrontations that
      created ugly scenes at Twyford Down and the Newbury Bypass
      in the late nineties."
      We've said it before and we'll say it again: direct
      action works!

      EU BEHIND ON KYOTO GOAL, TRANSPORT EMISSIONS TO BLAME
      [from ITDP's Sustainable Transport e-Update]

      The European Environmental Agency found that greenhouse gas

      emissions rose for the second year in a row, moving the EU
      further away from meeting its emissions reductions
      commitment under the Kyoto Protocol. Emissions from the
      transport sector, paired with a cold winter that led to
      more electricity use, were blamed for the increase. While
      the results are certainly disappointing, at least the EU is

      participating in the Kyoto Protocol and performing yearly
      monitoring studies that point to the specific areas where
      emissions targets are not being met.

      HORRIFIC TRAFFIC CRASHES IN USA RAISE IMPORTANCE OF CARFREE

      AREAS

      On July 16, an 86-year-old man drove his vehicle into an
      outdoor market in Santa Monica, USA killing 10 people and
      injuring 69 others. Eleven days later in Florida, a 79-year-

      old man drove his vehicle into an outdoor market, sending
      six people to the hospital.
      Instead of these events creating political pressure to
      redesign communities for people - ensuring independent
      mobility for all, regardless of age or physical ability -
      the overwhelming response has been limited to having people

      take car keys away from their elderly parents and
      instructing physicians to report to authorities people who
      should no longer be driving. However, there is now some
      awareness of the need for making some public spaces
      carfree.

      BLACK STARS ON BOGOTA STREETS

      More than 1,500 black stars have been painted on the
      streets of Bogota, Colombia, as a stark reminder of each
      pedestrian death caused by car crashes over the last five
      years. The educational campaign asks Bogota, "We are
      getting used to this; what's the matter with us?" The
      campaign aims to reduce the death rate by 10%.

      ___________________

      CAR BUSTERS ANNOUNCEMENTS >>
      __________________________________

      WORLD CARFREE DAY 2003

      September 22 is World Carfree Day - less than two months
      away! We have big plans for local activities in Prague, but

      we haven't had the resources to provide much infrastructure

      and global coordination. So we encourage you to organise
      locally and independently, and to report back with your
      plans and post-event reports. As for 2004, we have been
      providing significant input on the direction of the EU and
      UN carfree day programmes, and we will let you know when we

      have good news to report. In the meantime, join the
      listserve below to share carfree day organising ideas with
      others around the world. All the best and good luck!

      JOIN THE DISCUSSION

      Are you interested in having a say in the transformation of

      Car Busters into a more decentralised international
      network? Might your local organisation want to be a part of

      it all and gain a voice at the international level? If so,
      you may want to join the discussion at
      carfree_network@.... The listserve, rather
      than a place for general postings, is devoted to
      discussing/organising current and future projects of the
      network and the global carfree movement. Those interested
      in getting more involved in World Carfree Network projects
      are especially encouraged to join. To subscribe, just send
      an e-mail to <carfree_network-subscribe@...>.

      CAR BUSTERS PRESS: BARGAIN BASEMENT BOOKS
      [bulk discounts on 'CARtoons' and 'Roadkill Bill']

      It's Summer Cleaning Time at Car Busters - we are trying to

      clean up our cluttered office and raise extra money to
      cover our operating costs. How can you help? Carbusters
      publishes two books - Andy Singer's 'CARtoons' and Ken
      Avidor's 'Roadkill Bill' - and these books are piled up in
      our office - under desks, on top of bookshelves, in every
      corner, we are even resting our monitors on them. Why not
      purchase a bunch from us? You could give them to friends as

      gifts, or your organisation could sell them to your members

      or to the public at community events. (World Carfree Day is

      coming in September!)
      If you order more than ten copies, we'll let you have
      them for half-price. That's 5 EUR/USD per book, instead of
      the normal 10 EUR/USD. You can then sell them at the cover
      price. And you won't have to pay extra for shipping. A
      description of the books and more info can be found at
      <http://www.carbusters.org/press>. Contact us if you're
      interested, at <info@...>.

      _____________________

      DISCLAIMER >>
      _____________________________

      Despite the existence of the
      <http://www.carbusters.org/consume_now> web page, the
      aforementioned Car Busters Press announcement should in no
      way be construed as an endorsement of excessive personal
      consumption. Bulletin recipients who purchase Car Busters
      Press products are encouraged to distribute and dispense
      with said products forthwith.

      [end]

      CAR BUSTERS
      Kratka 26, 100 00 Prague 10, Czech Republic
      tel: +(420) 274-810-849 - fax: +(420) 274-816-727
      <info@...> - <http://www.carbusters.org>
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        >Dear Carfree_cities list recipients,
        >Here is our latest monthly bulletin. Since its probably not
        >appropriate to send it regularly to this list, individuals
        >who want to receive it (one e-mail per month) can just send
        >a message to carbusters_bulletin_eng-
        >subscribe@....

        Actually, please DO continue to send it to the carfree_cities
        list--it's entirely appropriate.

        Thanks

        Joel

        -- ### --