Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Any auto free literary heroes yet?

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
      Great site. He's got a great blog, too:
      http://www.naparstek.com/

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "fireplug" <fireplug_98@...>
      To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 9:19 PM
      Subject: [carfree_cities] Re: Any auto free literary heroes yet?

      > Have you heard about the "Honku" movement in Brooklyn, New York or
      > the book that grew out of it? Check it out: http://www.honku.org
      > This was/is a true moment of auto-free literary heroism... I'll post
      > some of the honku poems next...
      >

      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Baddeley"
      > <s.j.baddeley@b...> wrote:
      > > I was pondering some while ago how the problems on which "Carfree
      > Cities"
      > > focuses directly, emerge indirectly in contemporary literature -
      > popular or
      > > high brow. Reading Scott Turrow's "Reversible Errors" recently I
      > note know
      > > special animus against cars but there are frequent sideswipes at
      > sprawl and
      > > someone seeing a glimpse of a landmark building across acres of
      > freeway and
      > > references to the tedium of tract development enveloping what once
      > was a
      > > town.
      > >
      > > How are people not against cars reacting to the architectural and
      > land-use
      > > impact of autodependency without putting 2 and 2 together. How much
      > will it
      > > take for someone like that to make the links. Are there any
      > contemporary
      > > literary or TV heroes yet who don't drive at all or even don't like
      > driving?
      > >
      > > Best
      > >
      > > Simon

    • look384
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7, 2003
        Bill Bryson, author of A Walk in the Woods, I'm a Stranger Here
        Myself and A Sunburnt Land. He may not be completely carfree, but he
        often writes about the virtues of human scale development, walking
        and the absurd dependence on automobiles.

        Kevin
      • Andie Miller
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2003
          And of course Ray Bradbury who has 'transported us to outer space', but at
          82, has never driven a car.
        • Bijan Soleymani
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2003
            "dubluth" <dubluth@...> writes:

            > I think the explanation of why we don't see explicitely car-free
            > protagonists on TV is the culture of TV writing and production. In
            > fact in most work places in the USA, the person who doesn't reach the
            > office using a car is the exception. Why would writers for the small
            > screen even think of introducing a protagonist with an aversion to
            > automobiles.

            There's also another reason of course. The car companies, who are big
            advertisers, might not like it so much.

            Bijan
            --
            Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>