Re: Any auto free literary heroes yet?

  • fireplug
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
      Not sure if this qualifies as literary heroism, but below are some
      very funny haiku (or "honku") poems about cars, traffic, and the
      absurdity of the American automobile experience. Please feel free to
      forward these to friends. And write your own. The honku "movement"
      and the book (Honku: The Zen Antidote to Road Rage) started on
      lampposts in Brooklyn, New York. There's lots more here:
      http://www.honku.org Funny stuff...

      Our urban fabric
      the cheap upholstery of
      traffic engineers

      Atlanta traffic
      easy to see why Sherman
      burned this city down.

      Aggro tailgate man
      next time make it a grande
      Prozacaccino

      That's right, nosepicker
      the way you are in your car
      is the way you are

      The air in Houston -
      too darn thick to breathe but our
      sunsets look pretty

      Let the forest burn
      the Toyota Sequoia
      continues to grow

      Gas-guzzler flying
      little American flags -
      the Saudis thank you

      Is it profiling
      to say, "Dude in the Hummer
      is an idiot"?

      Her Ford Explorer
      on a never-ending quest
      for a parking spot

      The evolution
      of cars is stuck in reverse -
      dinosaurs now rule

      Seething in traffic
      bike-borne I pass you each block
      we do the same dance

      Silicon Valley
      10% unemployment
      traffic's much better

      Alaska's melting –
      hope your Yukon Denali
      doubles as a boat.

      There are only three
      types of drivers – the insane,
      the morons, and me

      If you really love
      America, hang that flag
      on a bicycle

      Ford, GM, Chrysler
      zero-percent financing -
      great deal: more traffic

      http://www.honku.org
    • Mike Harrington
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
        Great site. He's got a great blog, too:
        http://www.naparstek.com/

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 7, 2003
          Bill Bryson, author of A Walk in the Woods, I'm a Stranger Here
          Myself and A Sunburnt Land. He may not be completely carfree, but he
          often writes about the virtues of human scale development, walking
          and the absurd dependence on automobiles.

          Kevin
        • Andie Miller
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2003
            And of course Ray Bradbury who has 'transported us to outer space', but at
            82, has never driven a car.
          • Bijan Soleymani
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 28, 2003
              "dubluth" <dubluth@...> writes:

              > I think the explanation of why we don't see explicitely car-free
              > protagonists on TV is the culture of TV writing and production. In
              > fact in most work places in the USA, the person who doesn't reach the
              > office using a car is the exception. Why would writers for the small
              > screen even think of introducing a protagonist with an aversion to
              > automobiles.

              There's also another reason of course. The car companies, who are big
              advertisers, might not like it so much.

              Bijan
              --
              Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>