Re: Any auto free literary heroes yet?

  • fireplug
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
      Have you heard about the "Honku" movement in Brooklyn, New York or
      the book that grew out of it? Check it out: http://www.honku.org
      This was/is a true moment of auto-free literary heroism... I'll post
      some of the honku poems next...

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Baddeley"
      <s.j.baddeley@b...> wrote:
      > I was pondering some while ago how the problems on which "Carfree
      Cities"
      > focuses directly, emerge indirectly in contemporary literature -
      popular or
      > high brow. Reading Scott Turrow's "Reversible Errors" recently I
      note know
      > special animus against cars but there are frequent sideswipes at
      sprawl and
      > someone seeing a glimpse of a landmark building across acres of
      freeway and
      > references to the tedium of tract development enveloping what once
      was a
      > town.
      >
      > How are people not against cars reacting to the architectural and
      land-use
      > impact of autodependency without putting 2 and 2 together. How much
      will it
      > take for someone like that to make the links. Are there any
      contemporary
      > literary or TV heroes yet who don't drive at all or even don't like
      driving?

      > Best
      >
      > Simon
    • fireplug
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
        Not sure if this qualifies as literary heroism, but below are some
        very funny haiku (or "honku") poems about cars, traffic, and the
        absurdity of the American automobile experience. Please feel free to
        forward these to friends. And write your own. The honku "movement"
        and the book (Honku: The Zen Antidote to Road Rage) started on
        lampposts in Brooklyn, New York. There's lots more here:
        http://www.honku.org Funny stuff...

        Our urban fabric
        the cheap upholstery of
        traffic engineers

        Atlanta traffic
        easy to see why Sherman
        burned this city down.

        Aggro tailgate man
        next time make it a grande
        Prozacaccino

        That's right, nosepicker
        the way you are in your car
        is the way you are

        The air in Houston -
        too darn thick to breathe but our
        sunsets look pretty

        Let the forest burn
        the Toyota Sequoia
        continues to grow

        Gas-guzzler flying
        little American flags -
        the Saudis thank you

        Is it profiling
        to say, "Dude in the Hummer
        is an idiot"?

        Her Ford Explorer
        on a never-ending quest
        for a parking spot

        The evolution
        of cars is stuck in reverse -
        dinosaurs now rule

        Seething in traffic
        bike-borne I pass you each block
        we do the same dance

        Silicon Valley
        10% unemployment
        traffic's much better

        Alaska's melting –
        hope your Yukon Denali
        doubles as a boat.

        There are only three
        types of drivers – the insane,
        the morons, and me

        If you really love
        America, hang that flag
        on a bicycle

        Ford, GM, Chrysler
        zero-percent financing -
        great deal: more traffic

        http://www.honku.org
      • Mike Harrington
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
          Great site. He's got a great blog, too:
          http://www.naparstek.com/

          > Have you heard about the "Honku" movement in Brooklyn, New York or
          > the book that grew out of it? Check it out: http://www.honku.org
          > This was/is a true moment of auto-free literary heroism... I'll post
          > some of the honku poems next...
          >

          > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Baddeley"
          > <s.j.baddeley@b...> wrote:
          > > I was pondering some while ago how the problems on which "Carfree
          > Cities"
          > > focuses directly, emerge indirectly in contemporary literature -
          > popular or
          > > high brow. Reading Scott Turrow's "Reversible Errors" recently I
          > note know
          > > special animus against cars but there are frequent sideswipes at
          > sprawl and
          > > someone seeing a glimpse of a landmark building across acres of
          > freeway and
          > > references to the tedium of tract development enveloping what once
          > was a
          > > town.
          > >
          > > How are people not against cars reacting to the architectural and
          > land-use
          > > impact of autodependency without putting 2 and 2 together. How much
          > will it
          > > take for someone like that to make the links. Are there any
          > contemporary
          > > literary or TV heroes yet who don't drive at all or even don't like
          > driving?
          > >
          > > Best
          > >
          > > Simon

        • look384
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2003
            Bill Bryson, author of A Walk in the Woods, I'm a Stranger Here
            Myself and A Sunburnt Land. He may not be completely carfree, but he
            often writes about the virtues of human scale development, walking
            and the absurd dependence on automobiles.

            Kevin
          • Andie Miller
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2003
              And of course Ray Bradbury who has 'transported us to outer space', but at
              82, has never driven a car.
            • Bijan Soleymani
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 28, 2003
                "dubluth" <dubluth@...> writes:

                > I think the explanation of why we don't see explicitely car-free
                > protagonists on TV is the culture of TV writing and production. In
                > fact in most work places in the USA, the person who doesn't reach the
                > office using a car is the exception. Why would writers for the small
                > screen even think of introducing a protagonist with an aversion to
                > automobiles.

                There's also another reason of course. The car companies, who are big
                advertisers, might not like it so much.

                Bijan
                --
                Bijan Soleymani <bijan@...>