Light Rail and Omaha (was: New Issue of New Colonist)

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      =v= Interesting article, though it seems to me the plans to
      build light rail on Omaha fall short. Much of downtown and
      midtown was built around the streetcar, but the proposals avoid
      those areas completely, in favor of big "attractions" such as
      the zoo, stadium, convention center, etc.

      =v= The city's chamber of commerce is actually proposing some
      good new urbanist development ideas, with one exception: no
      plans whatsoever to change the transit system! They're hoping
      to foster walkable communities in midtown, but not working to
      change the domination of the automobile.

      =v= I fear that, unless the city learns to connect some dots,
      the projects will fall shorts. Then Wendell Cox and the usual
      gang of detractors will call it a failure of light rail and of
      new urbanism.
      <_Jym_>