How is gasoline subsidized...please elaborate.

  • Apartments On 41st
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24 7:58 PM
      Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:46:25 -0500
      From: mtneuman@...
      Subject: Re: Re: Crash Adds Urgency, Pay-As-You-Drive Auto Insurance

      Yes, having a mayor that can push for development that does not rely on
      excessive use of automobile travel is important. We have a newly
      elected
      mayor in Madison (WI) that is pushing for that, along with inclusionary
      zoning to require affordable housing as a part of all new development
      in
      the city.

      But so much more is needed for these mayors to accomplish what their
      vision for the city is. They are working against many obstacles, the
      main one being that most American's love their cars and love to drive
      them. They don't have a problem in driving to big box stores on the
      perimeter of cities where the prices are right. The gas they use to
      get there is not a factor any more than are the number of miles they have
      to drive (as long as it doesn't take too much time).
      So the U.S. continues to subsidize the price of gasoline and the
      building of faster and wider highways.

      Can someone elaborate on the subsidizing of gasoline in the U.S. I have often heard of this, and am interested in knowing how exactly this is done...

      Thanx,

      Ken

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24 11:34 PM
        Hi All,

        >Can someone elaborate on the subsidizing of gasoline in the U.S. I have often heard of this, and am interested in knowing how exactly this is done...

        As always, start with VTPI at:

        http://www.vtpi.org

        Regards,

        -- ### --

      • mtneuman@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28 10:16 PM
          carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
          > Message: 1
          > Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:58:32 -0700 (PDT)
          > From: Apartments On 41st <apartmentson41st@...>
          > Subject: How is gasoline subsidized...please elaborate.
          >
          > Can someone elaborate on the subsidizing of gasoline in the U.S. I
          > have often heard of this, and am interested in knowing how exactly
          > this is done...
          > Ken

          Ken, this should satisfy your curiosity, I believe.
          The trouble with this is, there would be a massive revolt in this country
          if the price of gas rose to even a fourth of what the real cost of gas is
          to society, even excluding the really big external costs like global
          warming and air pollution that car drivers get off Scott free on!
          Mike
          The Real Price of Gasoline*

          - federal tax exemptions ($8.9 billion) -> state tax reductions ($123 - $
          323 million)
          - extraction & production subsidies, research & development, export
          financing ($115 billion)
          - federal oversight, pollution cleanup and liability costs ($1.6 billion)
          - U.S. military spending to guard world's petroleum resources ($55 - $96
          billion)**
          - social costs, including pollutions and congestion ($558 billion)***

          Grand Total: $1.69 trillion/year, or $15.14 per gallon

          * All amounts are in terms of annual subsidies.
          ** Exclude cost of going to war.
          *** Excludes loss of life costs and cost associated with global warming.

          SOURCE: International Center for Technology Assessment, "The Real Price
          of
          Gas", 1998. http://www.icta.org/ctanews/realpr.htm

          I tried to make this point while working for state government in
          Wisconsin in Dec. 1999, and nearly got my legs up to my torso cut off
          from under me. Tommy Thompson, the current Secretary of Health under the
          Bush administration, was Wisconsin's governor at the time. He was (and
          still is to my knowledge) a staunch road building fanatic.
          Mike

          http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/shp.html
          http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/trans/neuman_vmt.html
          http://danenet.wicip.org/bcp/neuman_gw.pdf